Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

TCP/IP Correct; IE Wont Use Lan Connection 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

nitrous75

Technical User
May 13, 2002
US
On one of my XP boxes, I have set up my tcp/ip correctly, and can ping and trace (ip and hostnames) out from a command prompt, but I can not get my outlook or IE to use the connection. I have chosen "never dial a connection" and used the internet setup wizard to see if it would pick up the lan connection but no luck. I'm sure someone has had this problem, and would appreciate your advice. I have another XP box that doesn't have this issue. Both machines can share files currently, and both are set up to connect through my netgear router(gateway) to my dsl.

C:\DOCUME~1\OCTAVIO>netstat -ano

Active Connections

Proto Local Address Foreign Address State PID
TCP LISTENING 4
TCP LISTENING 4
TCP LISTENING 4
UDP *:* 612
UDP *:* 4
UDP *:* 440
UDP *:* 628
UDP *:* 696
UDP *:* 628

ie6user, hopefully you or someone else can find something wrong with those netstat results. I have already gone ahead and tried the netsh "utility" in windows, which basically allows you to reset the tcp/ip to defaults since tcp/ip is the "core" of xp and can't be uninstalled. I then reconfigured with my ips(also tried dhcp). None of this helped. This is a new nic card now that I just pulled from another working pc, and it has the updated drivers. It doesn't work either.

Hi, nitrous75,

Well - this *is* strange - you didn't edit the results by any chance (probably not, but...) You don't have anthing bound to local addresses?? On the left side I would have expected at least some 192.168.0.3 entries, some 127.0.0.1 and some 0.0.0.0 entries... It looks like your TCP/IP stack is "somewhat" gone...

and indeed, it is rather impossible (ok - just let's say _extremely difficult_) to get the TCP/IP stack re-installed...

But since you've at least looked at netsh, let's take a simple gui tour: just try
Code:
netsh diag gui
from a command prompt, enable all test and verbosity, and see if anything comes up FAILED ???

Otherwise, in a commercial environment I'd say just to run setup again, first trying a repair (probably having no result), and second trying an upgrade-install - you won't loose any settings, but you _will_ loose all of yur service packs / hotfixes and stuff...

Anyway - to be honest - I have (so far) never seen anything like your configuration; not that that would be of any consolidation for you..

I will try and setup a test machine over here and see if I can create a spare hour or so, and see if I can "cripple" that machine enough to get the same result, but frankly, I rather doubt that... So, better rerun setup, and either repair (not using the Recovery console, that would do no good in this case) or upgrade/reinstall...

If you use enctyption, you might want to save your certificates.. they should be (and usually are) preserved during an in-place upgrade, but nevertheless... just run
Code:
cipher /?
for details...

Best of luck - you'll be needing it... ---
saybibi();
//john
#include <stddiscl.h>

nitrous75,

You appear to have everything configured correctly on the TCP/IP side since you can ping, tracert and share files. If DNS or TCP/IP parameters were wrong, you would not be able to do any of those. Seems to me all have been focusing on the network and it sounds like it is an IE/OE/telnet config problem.

Can you give some specifics of what happens when you try to use these apps?

The Old Man

Thanks ie6user. I have already ran the upgrade setup about 4 times originally and once again recently. I have been holding off a format, reboot as we are having trouble locating one of our payroll software disks to reinstall following the setup. As soon as I find that or get a replacement disk to setup with our license, I will try the clean install and then report back. Until then, if anyone has any other recommendations, feel free to offer them. Thanks again all...

Scholar24,

You're not getting the point I was making earlier. This setup does NOT require you to dial a connection on the PC! The Linksys/D-Link type of DSL routers people are using now have built in dialing ability to create the PPPoE connection from the router to the ISP. Then, each PC is only creating a LAN connection to the router, and the router handles NAT from the internet. There's no reason whatsoever to use ICS or any other hokey solutions.

I think you're trying to make this more complicated than it is.

jpm121,

You are correct. The router negotiates and maintains the PPPoE connection. There is no need to dial or establish a connection on the PC or to use ICS.

That is apparently happening correctly since the other computer can browse the internet and both computers are able to ping and tracert hosts on the internet.

The Old Man

scholar24,

I think you misunderstand how xDSL works with a router. PACBell does support this configuration with DHCP because they do not know there is a router unless you tell them. The router establishes the connection and gets its dynamic IP from PACBell and the computers connected to the router get a separate internal LAN address from the router. Since the router is maintaining the connection, it IS always-on. Using the PPPoE software on the networked computers is not necessary and in fact, disrupts the router's connection.

The Old Man

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back