Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

TCP/IP Correct; IE Wont Use Lan Connection 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

nitrous75

Technical User
May 13, 2002
US
On one of my XP boxes, I have set up my tcp/ip correctly, and can ping and trace (ip and hostnames) out from a command prompt, but I can not get my outlook or IE to use the connection. I have chosen "never dial a connection" and used the internet setup wizard to see if it would pick up the lan connection but no luck. I'm sure someone has had this problem, and would appreciate your advice. I have another XP box that doesn't have this issue. Both machines can share files currently, and both are set up to connect through my netgear router(gateway) to my dsl.

Check with your ISP if they support multiple connections through PPPoE which is the dsl protocol. I had dsl for awhile and most require you to dial in thus rendering multiple connections through the same account inaccessable. You might configure your network to share one of the computers connections, install a second enternet card then pipe everything to the router for distro. This is a huge pain but works

You should ignore everything scholar24 just said. Since you're using your router to establish connection to your DSL provider, your individual PCs don't do any "dialing".

Might try deleting your dialup settings to see if that kickstarts things. Also, pull up a command prompt and post an IPCONFIG /ALL for us to ponder please.

Good luck

C:\DOCUME~1\OCTAVIO>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : DELL
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : 3Com 3C920 Integrated Fast Ethernet
Controller (3C905C-TX Compatible)
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-C0-4F-02-CB-5B
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.3
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 207.69.188.185

I think I see the issue, but not sure how to fix.

You are running through the router,getting the DHCP from the router and DNS from the ISP? I assume the DNS should be set to get it from the router as well.
Try in the advanced properties of the NIC to point to the router for primary DNS and the two other addresses as second and third.
On my router set up, the PC points to the router for DNS and I have used both a static setting on the ISP DNS servers on the router, and have left it to auto both work. But I cannot set the ISP DNS on my PC or I dont get any browse on the browsers.

Just a quick one: how and where does the connection get setup? If the line always connected, and the authentication is done my recognizing the physycal line to the phone company? Or is it based on the MAC addr of some NIC(they probably provided?)? Or, like scholar24 already said (and is common over here (Netherlands) as well) do you at some point need to "logon" onto your DSL line?

If your router does that, then you should indeed have a plain network from that point on; if you need to do that from a PC (PPoE, PPTP, whatever), than you just can't use things like you are now..

For comparison, our setup over here:

Connected to the line to the phone company is a ADSL modem, which delivers ethernet, but you need to logon; our router performs the logging on (and establishing a PPTP connection through the modem to the ISP, that's just the way things are delivered over here), and after that point allows for the network access.

If we didn't have a dedicated ADSL (in our case) router, but just e.g. a plain hub, we would get problems: the actual PCs would need to logon to the ISP (and setting up the PPTP link in the process), and another PC would either try and setup a second tunnel (which would fail in our case), or the 1st PC would act as a router and share the connection to any other PCs...

So, basically, the question is: the working PC, is that also using a plain LAN connection for its internet access?

Also, on a side note, I noticed that you were using a static IP addr; although that is absolutely no problem, it usually more convenient to use the (normally) built-in DHCP server from your router.. you might add a reservation to the MAC addr of your NIC, so that in effect you have a fixed internal IP, but the flexibility of DHCP (our router also functions as a DNS forwarder, and picks up the dns severs from the ISP (there it acts as a DHCP client))- if things change over there, it should be transparent to us.

Also, when the ISDN backup kicks in, we sometimes get different DNS servers; in this setup that would be transparent, although if the servers you specified are accessible, that would be no problem either...

So basically, for now, just have a look at the working machine, and see how that is connecting...
---
saybibi();
//john
#include <stddiscl.h>

My ADSL (Netgear RT314) router logs into my dsl. I used dhcp when I first got it about 1 1/2 years ago, but then changed to static ip system so that I could have fixed ips for the computer (router doesn't allow mac address mapping). Everything worked just fine prior to installing XP. After installing xp, I followed the same exact tcp/ip configuration steps. I have double-checked[actually more than twice :)] settings in both pc's to make sure they are the same. I have also installed the latest (win xp) driver for my nic card. I am not having dns issues as I can ping and trace by hostname and IP. I can not however, telnet to my router (I can ping it along with other machine), as I can from my other pc, and I can not surf/send mail.

Is by chance the built in firewall running on the XP machine?

Hm.. connectivity sort of ok... Idea - did you enable the XP FireWall? Although I can't see the telnet symptom you're describing originating from that, it's worth a shot..

Also - could you please show us the output of a
Code:
route print
command??

That's all I can come up with in 5 seconds.. :)

But we'll beat this thing, one way or another, don't you worry...

OK - quick recap:

(external) DNS resolution OK.
Ping/Tracert (and therefore also pathping) OK.
SMTP/POP3 fails
http fails.
telnet fails..

Hm.. makes one wonder.. icmp works, tcp fails.. (although - XP dns is tcp based, not udp.. bummer) Could be the firewall (properties of your LAN connection), or some program like zonealarm or whatever???

Please report back w/ more info..
---
saybibi();
//john
#include <stddiscl.h>

(ah - futuretech204 - apparently you just had the same idea about the built-in FW, only you reacted quicker ;-)

let's hope that this would be the cause of the problem.. ---
saybibi();
//john
#include <stddiscl.h>

Win XP firewall is inactive, and I have manually checked my router via telnet from my other machine. There are no filters or port blocking. Thus, there is definitely nothing blocking just this one machine. My other machine again has no issues at all. Never had any type of firewall software on either machine. I will post the &quot;route print&quot; command results later when I am home and can run it. I appreciate everyone's help on this issue...Stay tuned...

Btw, I have tried to uninstall the tcp/ip from my nic and reinstall it (even though I have installed latest xp drivers for it), however win xp will not allow me to do this presumably because it is the only nic card I have installed. So I went ahead and deinstalled the device itself(nic hardware is actually on board). I then re-installed my drivers. This has made no change in the situation.

LOL has anyone tried the XP User support remote login functionality? We can all dial into your machine...just kidding

You haven't set up a hosts file have you? (I'm just shooting from the hip here, trying to jog something loose...)

What else -- okay, take the router out of the equation, hook the DSL modem directly to your machine and install your ISP's software to dial the PPPoE connection, see if you can browse then? I'm hesitant to suggest this because the PPPoE software is usually so kludgy but...

Wait, one other thing -- ie6user mentioned it -- go into your TCP/IP properties and set your DNS address to 192.168.0.1 (your router address). I do this with my Linksys and it takes care of the DNS lookups out there. Actually, why not try this one first, as it's the easiest to check.

I love a challenge...

Here are the &quot;route print&quot; results:

C:\DOCUME~1\OCTAVIO>route print
===========================================================================
Interface List
0x1 ........................... MS TCP Loopback interface
0x30003 ...00 c0 4f 02 cb 5b ...... 3Com 3C920 Integrated Fast Ethernet Controll
er (3C905C-TX Compatible)
Active Routes:
Network Destination Netmask Gateway Interface Metric
0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 192.168.0.1 192.168.0.3 20
127.0.0.0 255.0.0.0 127.0.0.1 127.0.0.1 1
192.168.0.0 255.255.255.0 192.168.0.3 192.168.0.3 20
192.168.0.3 255.255.255.255 127.0.0.1 127.0.0.1 20
192.168.0.255 255.255.255.255 192.168.0.3 192.168.0.3 20
224.0.0.0 240.0.0.0 192.168.0.3 192.168.0.3 20
255.255.255.255 255.255.255.255 192.168.0.3 192.168.0.3 1
Default Gateway: 192.168.0.1
Persistent Routes:
None

I went ahead and tried using my gateway for the dns, even though my hostname pings and traces were working, but this did not fix issue after reboot and relaunch of explorer and network connection wizard. I then set up my router for dhcp with only this computer on the network(trying each router port) and it grabs it's address correctly, but still get no connection in ie or ability to telnet to router, but can ping/trace gateway and outside internet devices by hostname/ip. This is getting freaky.

Ok - right back after a long weekend out, didn't get much sleep - so let's do something useful:

Looking at your route tables:
Nothing strange actually.. no funny sticking routes or so..

Just an idea - what telnet client are you using? The built-in XP console client?

On another note: can you ftp to the router? get you setup a http connection from that PC to the router? Can you connect to your router at all? (e.g. grab the config w/ a tftp transfer or so? - using any tftp server)??

(Not that the connection to your router should be the problem, but let's get 1 step at the time..) ??

Another thing: whilst opening (or at least trying to) any outside http:// connection ( will do fine) - just run a
Code:
netstat -o
and see what that gives you? (
Code:
netstat -ano
a for all connections, the n for no name resolution, (speed things up, more clear if you can do without) and the o for process resolution)

Good luck.. ---
saybibi();
//john
#include <stddiscl.h>

now that I think of it when I had DSL I tried to setup a home network with the modem, a router, a wirless 802.11b access point, and a laptop, and my DSL provider (PAC Bell of California) WOULD NOT SUPPORT two connections. I had a dynamic IP assigned by the ISP's DHCP server and was required to upgrade to one static IP in order to use a home network. and most DSL DOES require you to dial an access server through your modem, it's not like always on Cable. When setting up a internet connection sharing computer like Win2k or WINXP you would generally establish a local network connection then configure the main sharing computer's connection protocol (like dial in/login, ect) to automatically connect from a networked computer. I've done this before if a desktop is sharing an internet connection and a networked computer requests internet access it will automatically connect the sharing computer. Again if using something like a linksys sr41 dsl cable sharing NAT router and after pluggin your modem in you probably need to have your ISP's connection software installed on each computer, whether it supports multiple connection at the same time, ???? Good Luck

Tom

I have not been home to try your recommendations ie6user, but in response to your telnet question and scholar24's recommendations:

1. I am telneting via dos prompt (i.e start... run... command... c:\telnet 192.168.0.1

2. I am using Earthlink DSL, which supports multiple connections provided you have your own equipment. As my router logs into the connection. The connection believes that my router is really my pc. My pc's do not need any dsl software in them. The connection is then distributed to my computers via tcp/ip with my router acting as the default gateway.

Router(logs into dsl as a single host) _____________
! (default gateway) I I
ADSL V ______I 192.168.0.3 I <-PC1
! _____________ / I_____________I
V I I----/
-----------I 192.168.0.1 I _____________
I_____________I----\ I I
\______I 192.168.0.2 I <-PC2
I_____________I

I'll update soon with the netstat results...

So your router is performing some NATting on the passed-through data, I suppose? Shouldn't give a problem...

(indeed, w/ a fixed font your diagram makes more sense ;-) Oh well - things are clear.. just a standard setup.. (although most setups seem to stay clear of the 192.168.0 subnet.. but that is no problem, and you're not using any broadcast addresses or something like that...)

We'll (read: *you* will) get there, eventually... ---
saybibi();
//john
#include <stddiscl.h>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back