Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

TCP/IP = borked. Unable to attain ip address. 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jynxed

Technical User
Jun 9, 2003
US
Ok I've got a problem.

Running winxp and something screwed up my net connection after uninstalling some mal-ware.

Cannot release (at least it doesn't appear to do anything) with ipconfig, and renewing gives the message that access is denied.

Reinstalled XP and I still cannot connect to the network/router.

When trying to obtain the IP automatically, it comes up with 0.0.0.0 for everything and DHCP is enabled.

When I try to set it up manually, DHCP won't start. A manual setup also won't connect to the router.

Run through the dns flushing and registering but again nothing happens.

When pinging I can ping localhost but nothing else.

I have tried the winsock registry deletion etc. Tried reinstalling the whole OS but nothing is working. I'm out of ideas and could use some help if anyone has an idea.

Background:
I have been running winXP for a while now and of course have run through the gauntlet with these great new things being installed by certain webpages... please note the sarcasm.

At any rate, my uptime is usually weeks and as a result, I'm not sure when exactly the issue popped up, but after the last reboot, all hell broke loose.

I found some weird auto-installed mal-ware and removed it. The app was in german so I may have messed it up when uninstalling it. All appeared ok until I did another reboot to make sure the system was clear.

It was very clear. It took out my net connection.

tauri,

You cannot release/renew, or repair, a static IP address.

HI,
I have a Toshiba notebook running XP home. My Cisco 350 aironet card works fine and I can access my local hotspot easily. When I try a different card (SanDisk Connect Plus) I cannot get an IP address, despite the utility seeing the access point. When I run a test I get a winsock fail message. When I try the "repair" option in network connections, I get a failure also. Will the winsock utility that you refer to in this section work in this case? Thanks.

mklafter1,

Assuming no WEP, SSID or channel issues are the root cause of your DHCP failure, the answer is that very likely it will help but not gauranteed.

I have the same problem - Unable to renew IP address. I have tried the ipconfig/release and /renew commands, but the /renew command errors "Unable to communicate with DHCP server." Thanks, bcastner, for the winsock fix file. Unfortunately, it didn't do the trick. I tried the other two thoughts you had for another user with the same problem - using a static IP for a while (didn't work), and unchecking LHOSTS...

I'm up the creek. Any suggestions?

I have the same problem (unable to renew IP address). Having spent days now trying to fix this I would be most grateful for any suggestions.
A bit of background in case it help:
Single desktop working fine with USB DSL modem
Bought Netgear WGT624, DM602, WGT511 and 2 FA312 cards. Added a second PC. Both running XP. Added a laptop running Win98.
Finally got everything working on Saturday morning.
Saturday afternoon we have a powercut (I don't know if this is relevant). When I switched the desktop back on on Monday it wouldn't connect to the internet. I realise that it hasn't been assigned an IP.
2nd desktop and laptop are still working fine.
I've tried:
Resetting the IP heap stack
Swapping NIC cards and updating drivers
Running winsockfix in normal and safe mode.
Assigning a fixed IP
Unchecking the TCP/IP in the LAN properties, rebooting and rechecking.
Running the card at 10mbps
All virus checkers and firewalls are uninstalled.
After 5 calls to Netgear support of between 20minutes and 1h 40 mins, they have suggested sending the PC back to the vendor but I just can't believe that this is the only solution. Everything else about the PC is functioning correctly and I can ping the card itself OK.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.
Jonathan

Managed to fix this eventually. I did about 5 things in my last attempt so not sure which one did it.

1) Although I had specified that Sygate Personal Firewall not start in its options, there was still a startup file when I looked in MSCONFIG
2) Uninstalled Norton and deleted all possible remaining files. Deleted Adaware
3) Disabled from start-up: directCD, dslagent, regshave, and Symantec fax starter.
4) Shut down all machines (including wireless). Unplugged everything
5) Left it off for about 10 minutes

When I rebooted the original machine reconnected.
Very frustrating to have wasted 15 hours on this but at least it is fixed.

JQ

I am having a similar problem. PC is xp pro with a linksys USB wireless to a Linksys WAP11b router, connected to a D-Link router to a CABLE modem. The D-Link D604 router is set to receive a DHCP address from the isp and hand out a 192.168.0.0 private address via the wireless router to the pc's. There are two pcs, both running xp pro, one is a laptop with a netgear pc wireless card on channel 11, the other is a desktop with the Linksys USB wireless on channel 11. After renewing the address by turning the pc off and on, it loses it's address again after about an hour or so. The notebook has no problems at all.

A webpage installed an Ad detection utility on my desktop running XP Pro. I lost my internet connection. Can't ping anything, can't even access my D-link router. I have a laptop w/static address working fine on same router and all is well.
Tried repair and I get a failed message. I tried assigning a static IP and still nothing. When using dynamic auto assign it's a bogus IP starting in 169.xxx.xxx.xxx
I haven't tried the winsock fix yet. I'm thinking that should be my next try unless someone has another solution. All help appreciated :)
What's the deal with these sleazy auto install programs and how can I prevent this from happening again? I have SpyNuker and it didn't detect anything. I uninstalled the ad crap and there was still something else loading into my sys tray at startup. I manually deleted that but want to make sure it's gone before I start messing around. I ran SpyNuker again but don't really know if it's gone.
Tanx

Thank you Zaphod38! The little fix program worked like a dream. All I had to do was run it and reboot and my connection was back to normal. It even backs up your registry in case of a mishap.
More thanks to bcastner for the excellant protection info.

I would like to Thank bcastner for this wonderful WinSockFix Utility. I was running into a problem when I found this Post.Thanks bcastner and thanks Jynxed, If you never had the problem you would have never posted the question. But because you did I was able to find this Post. The WinsockFix Utility saved me. Thanks again.

remove reinstall Tcp/ip -could be corrupt
most likley a driver issue
remove reinstall Nic/Usb driver bound to your modem
make sure you have administrative rights
all elese fails contact your ISP

I have noticed a few people mentioned linksys routers.

I recently had this problem with a linksys router. One computer on the network could get an IP address but only one. If that computer was shutdown then another could get an ip address.

The interesting thing was that when I looked at the DHCP table in the router it was showning an ip address being assigned to the non-working computers, but the IP was not in the range that the router was specified to use (but same subnet).

For some unknown reason I decided to change the ssid from the default "linksys". And funny enough I noticed that there was ANOTHER linksys. But that didn't fix the problem.

I finally upgraded the firmware of the box and it started working again.

I am speculating that the other router that our neighbour must have caused our box to get into this state, and short of a firmware upgrade (or maybe a reset like someone else mentioned) nothing would get it out of that state.

--

Iam having the exact same problem as Jynxed but have been unable to remidy the problem. Iam running WinXP PRO I have run the Winsock fix in both safe mode and normal boot with no avail. When I unhide the hardware in the Device Manager I have no less then eight entries the first being my actual NIC a 3com EtherLink XL PCI (3C905B-TX). The drivers for this nic are correct and the most recent from 3Com. The other nics listed are Direct Parallel, D-Link DFE-530TX Packet Scheduler Miniport - I had installed a D-Link to try and remedy my problem but that failed too, but now I have this part of the nic remaining that I can not uninstall. I have five WAN Miniport (IP),(IP) - packet Scheduler Miniport, (L2TP), (PPPOE), and (PPTP) I cannot unintall any of these either I get an error "Failed to uninstall the device. The device may be required to boot up the computer." I have tried hard setting my IP, releasing, renewing, pulling the nic all together clearing the drivers and hardware in the device manager and uninstalling all Network prefrences. As soon as I add any nic to the computer It automatically lists it as Local Area Connection 4 but there are no other Local Area Connections listed. I can use the same network drop with my laptop and it can renew and release an IP from my linksys router no problem and I have internet access, my laptop is also running Windows XP PRO. All other computers that are connected to the linksys router have no problem with their connections. I am really out of ideas any help would be great! Sorry this is so long.

I have actually been to that support site ran the utilites with no problems everything was listed as passing, but I still get the default IP of 169.254.199.182 even after I erase the registry keys for winsock, and winsock2 and restart nothing changes. It still lists this as Local Area Connection 4 but no other Local Area Connections exist in the network properties. Im at a loss.

The fact that it is listed as Local Area Connection 4 is nothing to be concerned about. It is just a name, you can right-click and rename it if you chose.

I am curious if other reasons for DHCP failure have been checked:

. firewalls
. Antivirus software with firewall components; for example, PC-Illan can do this.
. Any bridged device, especially a firewire 1394 bridge being created on the machine.
. Having ICS enabled.
. Wrong speed or duplex setting on the adapter. Set the adapter to Auto and test; then 10/half duplex and test.

Well I went with a toatally new 3com NIC out of the box and everything now works fine. I still dont understand what is wrong with the previous NIC or the new D-Link I tried. I had uninstalled my firewall software all together, as well as changed the speeds on the NIC in the end it changed nothing. I took my old NICs to work today just to try then on a computer there and they worked fine so got me. Thanks for the help though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back