Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

TCP/IP = borked. Unable to attain ip address. 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jynxed

Technical User
Jun 9, 2003
US
Ok I've got a problem.

Running winxp and something screwed up my net connection after uninstalling some mal-ware.

Cannot release (at least it doesn't appear to do anything) with ipconfig, and renewing gives the message that access is denied.

Reinstalled XP and I still cannot connect to the network/router.

When trying to obtain the IP automatically, it comes up with 0.0.0.0 for everything and DHCP is enabled.

When I try to set it up manually, DHCP won't start. A manual setup also won't connect to the router.

Run through the dns flushing and registering but again nothing happens.

When pinging I can ping localhost but nothing else.

I have tried the winsock registry deletion etc. Tried reinstalling the whole OS but nothing is working. I'm out of ideas and could use some help if anyone has an idea.

Background:
I have been running winXP for a while now and of course have run through the gauntlet with these great new things being installed by certain webpages... please note the sarcasm.

At any rate, my uptime is usually weeks and as a result, I'm not sure when exactly the issue popped up, but after the last reboot, all hell broke loose.

I found some weird auto-installed mal-ware and removed it. The app was in german so I may have messed it up when uninstalling it. All appeared ok until I did another reboot to make sure the system was clear.

It was very clear. It took out my net connection.

Run this little gem of a utility, and I suspect you will be back in business:
The problem is that your Winsock service stacks are corrupted, and XP does not provide a very comprehensive way to rebuild them. This little utility will do the job very well for you.

Ok I'll give it a try.

I found one very similar to it... it wasn't a VB application. I couldn't run it because it gave me out of memory messages. (I'm running with almost a GB of RAM)

Shouldn't reinstalling the whole OS cleared any winsock errors though?

What exactly does this application do that I haven't fone manually, or a full reinstall wouldn't accomplish?

Thanks again,
Jynxed

For one, a reinstallation does not change your registry, where the root of the problem lies.

And yes, you could do it all by hand:

1. In Device Manager, show all hidden devices. Expand your Network Adapter section and disable all devices;

2. Go to the registry and delete in their entirety the Winsock and Winsock2 registry tables.

3. Take a copy from a clean install of XP Pro SP1 of those two registry tables from another machine, and import them to the troubled machine.

5. do a: NETSH int ip reset resetlog.txt

6. re-enable the devices in Device manager.

7. repeat step #5

reboot

Or, run the utility.

My son had something similar which, upon reflection, also occured after running Ad-Aware.
I'd gone as far as replacing the NIC (it was only a 10M and a new 100M only cost Au$15) and still had problems !
I'd found that the when I went to repair the connection, it would fail.
This is the "Repair" you find on the pop-up menu when you:

Left click -> Start
Right-click -> My Network Connections
Left click -> Properties
Right-click -> Local Area Connection

Digging into the TCP/IP properties, the details revealed that the automatic alternate IP address in a range that I don't use was installed (I should have written it down but it began with 169...)
When I set this to an IP and sub-mask suitable for my network, I could access local PCs but I could not get any Internet services working at all, nor could I could not point at any web-based services on my router or printer server.

I downloaded the program that bcastner linked above to another PC and ran it from my son's PC. I used the programs registry backup utility and backed up EVERYTHING :) before running the program's Winsock Repair function.

After rebooting, I still couldn't connect to Internet facilities, however when I ran the Local Network Connection's Repair utility THIS time, there was no error report within 10 seconds.
This time, there was a dialog box reporting a successful repair after about 20 seconds.

The machine required rebooting at this stage and I knew things were looking promising when that "optional" MSMessingup started to log in. A quick check of the browsers confirmed that for this PC, the Internet was back in business !

Without bcastner I wouldn't have found the answer - without Jynxed, I wouldn't have found the question ! :)

Cheers guys !!!

I have the same problem with the built-in NIC of my notebook PC. I then put in a new PCMCIA NIC and with the following setting:

IP address: 192.168.1.1
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
Default gateway: blank

Preferred DNS server: 192.168.1.1
Alternate DNS server: blank

I can get connection to my DSL and to the internet.

Without fixing the IP address, on this new NIC, i cannot get connection to the internet.

Then i came across the the fix above. After applying it, i can see among other things, that it resets the registry, i.e., the respective interfaces are no longer associated with the hedious 169.254.x.x IP address. But the IP address on the built-in NIC remains 169.254.x.x. Other than a clean install, is there another way around this?

Please advise.

Thanks

In device manager, highlight your network adapters, right-click the internal adapter and select disable.

For the built-in NIC unless it is connected to a device that provides DHCP services it will return the Automatic Private addressing in the 169.-range. This is expected and normal behavior.

If you would plug your network cable into the onboard-NIC, and assuming no IRQ or memory addressing conflicts (Device Manager should show the device working properly if not disabled) you should after a reboot pull a 192.168.x.x address from your network if the TCP/IP configuration is set to obtain an address automaticly.

jinx1,

You might also search your notebook manufacturer's web site to see if newer drivers have been made available for your internal LAN card/modem. Or if you know the manufacturer of the internal device, try their web site. I do not know exactly why, but notebooks seem to have required newer drivers for their internal connections at a far higher rate than desktops when using XP.

I have this problem in windows 98 and the program isn't fixing anything!!! I have tried to manually set the information, but I would not be able to connect to the internet. I have a built in adpater (on my motherboard) and I think the action that caused it to stop working was that I tried importing a video from my camera, and 98 set up a socket for tv/video something or other. It worked fine until I powered down for the night, then in the morning it stopped working. Any help please!!!

also my dhcp server in winipcfg is 255.255.255.255

oh and when I attempt to renew I get an access denied error.

bcastner,

I have a problem similar to jinxed on a W2K Pro machine, and have gone through similar drastic attempts to fix it. The DHCP client service will not initialize properly. With a manually set IP address, I can ping, telnet, ftp or browse IP addresses, but I can't resolve URLS whether from a DNS server or even from my own Hosts file. I have downloaded the WinSockFix utility and it ran to completion very nicely; however, upon rebooting, the DHCP Client service still hangs and nothing has apparently changed.
Any further thoughts greatly appreciated...

Minerj,

If you have customized the HOSTS file, did you make certain that the localhost 127.0.0.1 entry remained untouched and the first entry in the list?

Have you tried newer drivers for the NIC?

Have you tried without a firewall?

Are you using PC-Illan or McAfee AV?

Minerj,

If you have customized the HOSTS file, did you make certain that the localhost 127.0.0.1 entry remained untouched and the first entry in the list?

Have you tried newer drivers for the NIC?

Have you tried without a firewall?

Are you using PC-Illan or McAfee AV?

I just ran into this problem my self and i am using a linksys router. What i found to fix this issue was to reset the router back to manufacture defaults and then rebuild any ip forwarding, static ip, etc.

bcastner,

FWIW, I ran out of time, reformatted the hard disk and re-installed W2K. Yes, this did solve my TCP/IP problems but a painful way to go.

Thanks for your help.

this FIX worked for us!

we HAD the same problem on our network... it started all of the sudden... at first we seemed to only be having the problem with win98 pc... then we had an NT server in for cleanup and it could not obtain an IP, it was the same message... ACCESS is DENIED! but now I had the helpful event log! I looked up the event ID in the MSknowledeBase... when I read the article ( a light bulb went off! we had ADDED a linksys wireless router to our system a month earlier, sure enough DHCP was enabled in the router...as a test I disconnect the router and BINGO, no more ACCESS DENIED problem. I configured the modem to NOT provide DHCP and we have not had the problem since! (it's been 20 min now,LOL)

WHY it took so long for the problem to manifest is beyond me, and why it was selective (temporary pc's are put on the network all the time, most grab an IP and connect... just some would not) ANYWAY, this solved my problem, I hope it solves it for others!

ref:
Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 244978
Event ID 1003 and DHCP Client Denied with Two DHCP Servers on the Network

I have exactly the same problem as Jynxed above, have perfomred all of the tasks outlined in this thread and still cannot ipconfig /renew or repair the local area connection. Does this mean I have to re-format my hard drive and start from a clean slate. It's just beyond me that MS can make brilliant dancing paper clips, but cannot make the most important task of going online a little simpler.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back