Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

TaskMgr

Status
Not open for further replies.

sakpgu

Technical User
Aug 9, 2005
US
--Need help troubleshooing a Task Manger problem on multi-user workstation running Win2k SP4.
--Two instances of the app run minimized in the systray whenever one user hits Alt+Ctrl+Del. Taskman.exe won't run from the command prompt either. Problems appeared about a month ago and affect only this profile; all other workstation users can access Task Manager. Users logon to domain with locally stored profiles.
--I'd be grateful for any suggestions so I don't have to re-create her profile. Thanks a lot.

Do a search for taskman.exe and let us know the locations that this file is at. Im thinking a possible copycat culprit is hiding on there.

--Only two copies of taskman.exe on workstation. One is at c:\Winnt; the other in c:\Winnt\System32; both are version 5.0.2134.1. This is the same on our other Win2K workstations.

I had a machine with the same problem awhile back. I ran adware and spybot to clean up the crap and that took care of the problem.

--Thanks for the tip. I stumbled upon the solution myself. I ran Spybot S&D when I noticed unauthorized toolbars, etc. The user compounded the problem by accidently running taskman in small footprint mode. That made it v. difficult for her to see. Something to watch out for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back