Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Taskbar suddenly flips up vertical along the left edge??? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

torandson

Technical User
Feb 8, 2005
A1
Hi,
Several times I have experienced this frustrating behavior:

The Start button and taskbar suddenly are vertically aligned along the left edge of the destop. I can drag it out wide or push it this way and that but it stubbornly refuses to go back to lying horizontally at the bottom of the screen. Or it wants to be two or three lanes wide at the bottom, puts things in ridiculous places, and responds irrationally to mouse-dragging efforts.

Somehow (after many loud and counterproductive insinuations), the stubborn thing gets the message and returns to where it should be.

A: Why does it do this?
B: Where is this information stored and in what form?
C: How do I quickly and easily get the taskbar to go back where it belongs?

(I suspect this may be related to sudden changes in mouse-pointer location that are not related to mouse movement, but rather, to optical reflections, artifacts, or defects in the designs of optical mice.)

(Please note that I know how to lock the taskbar.)

--torandson

How to move the taskbar

Moving the taskbar is simple once you understand the basic steps involved. To move the taskbar, move your mouse cursor to where the time is currently displayed on the taskbar. Once your mouse cursor is over the time, click and hold the mouse button down, and while holding the mouse button down, move your cursor to the middle edge of where you want the taskbar to be. For example, if you wish to return the taskbar back to its original position, move the cursor to the bottom center of the screen. When the taskbar has moved to its new location, release the button.

Still unable to get the task bar to its default position

If after following the above recommendations you are still unable to get the task bar to be properly displayed and positioned, reboot the computer and load the computer into safe mode. Once in safe mode, reboot the computer once again and the task bar should be restored.

Make a shortcut to repair the Taskbar
Download this file:
Note: '© Kelly Theriot and Doug Knox - 8/22/2003

The target for your new desktop shortcut would be wscript path\xp_taskbar_desktop_fixall.vbs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back