Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

task switching with java

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stevoie

Programmer
Jun 7, 2001
IE
I need to write a program that allows me to switch tasks in windows 98, like pressing alt-tab. And also i would like this to be in a window which is always on top.

Does anyone know any classes that I can use.
Thanx in advance.

Do you mean switching tasks within the JVM or on an OS level? Because if your trying to do that with the OS, Java is not the right language. [morning] HavaTheJut

Yeah I like to be able to switch tasks at the OS level, but I don't think it's possible and your reply seems to confirm that.
Thanks for the reply
StevoIE

Im not saying that its not possible, because I'm sure that you can use native classes to find a way to do this. However, doing so would go against the principles of a machine-independant langauge. Other languages are able to interface with the native environment much more seamlessly, but if you really want to use java, go ahead. I was going to say that it couldnt hurt, but now that I think about it, it would be a lot more painful :). [morning] HavaTheJut

I'd prefer to use java, its the language I'm most familiar with and I know java can access the Win32 APIs using microsoft's JDirect. This would only ever run on a win98 p/c anyway. But I understand how it would be more painful, I was just hoping someone else had looked into it.

Thanx for the advice
Stevo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back