Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Task Scheduler Error

Status
Not open for further replies.

site4sure

IS-IT--Management
Aug 15, 2002
US
Hello.

I am having a bit of an issue with the task scheduler on a workstation. The workstations is a brand new Dell optiplex GX260 with Win2k SP3, and all the updates. Here is the problem. I get this error when I try to create a new task or change an exisiting one

"The new task has been created, but may not run because the account information could not be set. The specific error is 0x8009000f: Object already exists."

If anyone can help, that would be appreciated.

That error usually comes up when the Protected Storage service isn't started. Go to Computer Management (right click on My Computer and select manage), then Services/Services and start it. Change the setting to Automatic if it's Disabled, although there's no reason why it should be.

Let me know if that doesn't fix it as there's 1 or 2 other things that sometimes cause it, but not as often as this does.

Hi,

I tried that. I did not work. What else can we do?

-Chris Chopping, CCNA

Possible Solution: In some cases, this error has been associated with cryptography files present in:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Crypto\RSA\S-1-5-18
Copy the files in the S-1-5-18 folder to a different folder, i.e. CryptoTemp.

[If no files are visible, use [Tools] [Folder Options] [View] and check [Show Hidden Files and Folders] and click OK]

In the original S-1-5-18 folder, delete the original files that were copied.

Create the task again in Task Manager, reboot, and run the newly created task.

If the process fails, you have the copies made earlier to replace the deleted files.

Martin

Other way to correct cryptography.
Delete the following key and restart your computer:

HKEY_USERS\.Default\Software\Microsoft\Cryptography\Providers\Type 001

Yep Montreal's suggestion was my next move. It does almost alsways boil down to cryptography if the PS service is ok. Worth exporting the key to a safe place before you do it though, just in case it throws up something unexpected.

Hi,

Thanks MontrealSoft, that fixed the problem. You got me why it was acting this funny, but it is fixed now. Thanks for all your help.

-Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back