Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Task pane it is not loading when i open vfp 9.0 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 20, 2007
US
Hello all,
i had to reinstall " VFP 9.0 SP2" in win 10 pro 64 bit as the previous machine got a Ransomware, so i installed it, it opens but in the previous machine always i was having task pane loaded first and shown and then after that the "command window" loaded outright after that, the command window shows but now i can now even load manually from the menu under tools the "task pane", can anyone suggest please ?
i am missing something in the installation or under Tools, Options ?
Thanks a lot
Ernesto

Have a look at the _TASKPANE system variable. It should contain the name and path of the taskpane file, which by default is TASKPANE.APP. Then check to see if that file actually exists in the specified location. It should be about 950 KB.

You could also try double-clicking on TASKPANE.APP (from Windows Explorer) to see if it loads.

If the file doesn't exist, or if it doesn't run from Windows Explorer, try re-installaing it from the CD. You won't have to re-install the whole of VFP to do that.

Mike

Visual FoxPro articles, tips and downloads

Hi Mike,
Yes the file exist in the location "C:\PROGRAM FILES(X86)\MICROSOFT VISUAL FOXPRO 9", as TASKPANE.APP, with the same file size you specified, i double click on windows explorer on that file and what it does is just trying to load it, then vfp 9.0 opens, shows the command window but the task pane form does not open or show

Hi Mike,
the form was hidden all the way down, so i found it under the menu, Window and then it was shown there, once i click on it, it shows the top of the form and then i dragged to the top of the vfp screen, so now should be fine
Thanks

Ernesto,

just a general hint: Starting an app from Windows Explorer does about the same as when you DO some.app from the VFP command window. But that's not what VFP does with apps it knows in its system variables. Beautifying source code is done with beautify.app in Home(), starting this app that way or with DO beautify.app does not work, this has to be called with some parameters.

VFP knows what to do with the APP once the system variable is set, the VFP main menu has Task pane in the Tools menu. You don't need to get this started with VFP start, it's even a thing that slows down the start of the VFP IDE.

Anyway, when the window is positioned off-screen and remembered that way, that's in the foxuser.dbf and deleting that helps in such cases, also with many other problems, you just lose some settings and you might only realize later also some setting you miss more than the task pane, perhaps. Anyway, for a quick fix, you can also rename the foxuser and look into it in detail later, when the problem isn't simply a defect foxuser.dbf

Bye, Olaf.

Olaf Doschke Software Engineering

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back