Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Task Manager

Status
Not open for further replies.

uracootie

Technical User
Jul 26, 2004
US
I cannot find Task Manager anywhere on my IBM Think Pad with Win98SE. I've tried CTRL/ALT/DEL - no luck. Also when I Run 'services.msc' there is no response. How can I enable Task Manager and slo find 'services.msc'? I need to disable or set to manual some startup programs. Thanks.

Try running TASKMAN.EXE which is normally located in the C:\WINDOWS sub-dir.

ROGER - G0AOZ.

You do realize this is Windows 98SE and not Windows XP?

Glenn9999, not sure who your post is directed at...

If it's me, then may I respectfully suggest you go look in Windows 98 and you will see TASKMAN.EXE sits in the default Windows directory, and can be started from the RUN option.

ROGER - G0AOZ.

I'm fully aware of TASKMAN.EXE in Windows 98. By the post of the original poster, it seems they are looking at 98SE as if it is Windows XP. If the Taskman comment doesn't raise flags with you, the attempt to run "services.msc" should.

You're right about SERVICES.MSC of course, but since the poster clearly stated "my IBM Think Pad with Win98SE", I assumed he knew which operating system he was on about! Using <Ctrl><Alt><Del> should of course bring up Task Manager even in Windows 98, so that suggests there's a possible problem with his installation...

ROGER - G0AOZ.

Thanks for your replies. Yes...I'm referring to my IBM Thinkpad notebook with Win98SE (just not too familiar with Win98). So from your post, I should try run Taskman.exe to 'enable/disable' startup programs? Please clarify this for me. I do have a desktop pc with WinXP so I'm more familiar with running services.msc. I appreciate your help.

No. start,run,msconfig

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back