Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Task Manager will not work anymore 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

yobkeeg

MIS
Jul 10, 2003
AU
My Task Manager has decided not to function anymore :(

It was after a restore of the system partition that I first noticed this.

Does anyone know a way I can get it back without doing a repair or a re-build ?

Cheers

What exactly is happening when you try to start the Task Manager? Have you got the Taskmgr.exe in the System32 folder? If not extract it from the CD. Does the partition you restored include your current Windows Application and is it fully updated with SP1 and Windows Updates?

Problems Related to Variant of the W32.Klez Worm Virus Infection

311446 - You Cannot Start Programs (.exe Files) When Your Computer Is Infected with the SirCam Virus

Task Manager missing
Thread779-451252

CTRL+ALT+DELETE???
Thread779-433594

Another possible solution is running the System File Checking program (Sfc /Scannow from the Run Box).

Champ!!

Thanks for that... no taskmgr wasn't in my system32 dir.. don't know how that was removed... but anyway, I extracted from the CD and is now working...

Something so simple... I should have checked

No, the problem is that you still need to do a virus scan. The file is missing for a reason. Please follow all of Linney's links to on-line virus scanners.

>No, the problem is that you still need to do a virus scan

That was the first thing I did!..

Problem was when I restored the system partition. The file was corrupted on the backup media.

What is Taskmgr.exe and is it necessary? What does it do?

From Help and Support comes this.

Using Windows Task Manager.

You might need to be logged on as an administrator or a member of the Administrators group in order to perform some tasks.

Windows Task Manager provides information about computer performance and displays details about programs and processes running on your computer. If you are connected to a network, you can also view network status and see at a glance how your network is functioning. Depending on your work environment and whether you share your computer with other users, you can view additional information about those users. Using Windows Task Manager, you can also end programs or processes, start programs, and view a dynamic display of your computer's performance.

To open Windows Task Manager, right-click an empty space on the taskbar, and then click Task Manager.
For information about using Windows Task Manager, click the Help menu in Windows Task Manager.

Check it out and play with it,(carefully).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back