Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

task manager shows memory issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

collierd

MIS
Dec 19, 2001
DE
Hello

I am using SQL 2000 running on windows NT
When I first start SQL Server the memory usage shows as about 50mb
When I run a package this grows to just over 1.5 gb
It then remains there even after completion of all tasks
I think this is causing problems as the server keeps preventing us from doing things like e-mailing
Is this memory issue normal?
Could there be another problem?
Does anybody have any thoughts?

Thanks

Damian

The memory usage is normal. SQL 2000 dynamically controls memory and will use as much as needed up to its limits. It will release memory back to the operating system as needed. Most memory is used for data cache. You can configure memory usage though it is not recommended. See SQL BOL for details.

It is also recommended that you NOT run other services on the same server with SQL Server. Terry L. Broadbent - DBA
Computing Links:
faq183-874 contains "Suggestions for Getting Quick and Appropriate Answers" to your questions.

By other services do you mean outlook
Its just I can't e-mail without it

I am running exactly the same thing on 2 seperate servers
It works perfectly on one but not on the other

Noticably, I have a package which runs multiple packages (about 40)
When run, enterprise manager shows 14468 items locked
against the database in question
Is this normal?
Are items not being freed correctly?

Damian.

Outlook does not run as a service. You can have the Outlook client installed on the SQL Server with no problem.

It is not unusual to have thousands of locks. Objects can be rows, pages, or tables. Are the packages running sequentially or in parallel?

SQL Server will not release the memory in use unless the OS requests it. There is no reason to worry about how much memory SQL Server uses unless something else is not working. The links I provided tell you how you can configure the maximum amount of memory used. I don't recommend setting a max but if you feel you must, then read the articles.

If you want maximum performance from SQL Server, let it use as much memory as possible and limit other activity on the server. Terry L. Broadbent - DBA
Computing Links:
faq183-874 contains "Suggestions for Getting Quick and Appropriate Answers" to your questions.

I am having a similar error to this one. I also have a client using SQL Server 2000 as the database, and then I access info on it using ADO recordsets. Recently we upgraded the Windows 2000 system from Service Pack 2 (which by the way was working sucessfully for the last odd year) to Service Pack 3- and since then, then physical memory that the application is using doesn't clear after the user releases the recordset. In other words I call for a recordset on the server, and then I can see the memory usage climbing to compensate for that, but when I release the recordset again, the memory isn't released. Eventually I have to stop SQL Server and restart it, because it eats all of 1GB of RAM and then hangs the entire system.

Thysie,
I am having this very same problem right now. I can not figure it out. Did you ever find the solution to this problem?

Thanks,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back