Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Task Email Notification 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

sbudzynski

Technical User
Jul 7, 2005
US
Quick Question,

Is there anyway to customize the email notifications that Project Server sends the Worker resources in my projects?

Thanks,

----------

Steve Budzynski

"So, pass another round around for the kids. Who have nothing left to lose and for those souls old and sold out by the soles of my shoes"

Another quick question, what is the difference between

% Complete

-and-

% Work Complete

----------

Steve Budzynski

"So, pass another round around for the kids. Who have nothing left to lose and for those souls old and sold out by the soles of my shoes"

1. I think you can make minor tweaks -- but I've never done it (not a Proj Server kind of guy).

2. %Complete is elapsed duration; %Work Complete is the amount of work done. For a task with the resource assigned 100% then the two will represent the same thing. But if you have 1 day of work assigned over a 10 day period and if the resource does no work for 9 days then %Complete = 90%; %Work Complete = 0%.

Thanks PDQBach!

Do you know if Tek-Tips is a good place for Project Server help, or should I try other forums?

----------

Steve Budzynski

There aren't a lot of Project Server people here. Don't know where else to recommend.

I do know that the strong recommendation from MS is that deployment of an enterprise project system really requires outside consultants who specialize in it. Basically, it's a case of: if you're truly big enough to benefit from Enterprise-wide project management then the cost of the consultants is not a factor in the go-forward decision. But if the cost of the consultants is a factor, you're probably better off to run a PMO and use Project 2003 Standard.

Thats the generally idea I've been getting and seeing suggested to others trying to run Project Server. This software is complex and I am constantly questioning whether or not I am using it to its full potential. I will forward this idea to my "higher-ups" but they are always under the impression that if it's computer related then I should be able to figure it out!

Thanks for all your help PDQBach

----------

Steve Budzynski

Steve

Been there; done that <wry grin>.

Enterprise Project Server brings two totally different sets of issues.

Technically: setting up Project Server, establishing and implementing access roles, maintaining the server. This requires understanding of a variety of MS products (SQL Server, IIS, SharePoint, Project Server and, to a much lesser extent, Project Pro).

Organizationally: what benefits are expected, what has to be done with Project Server so that the benefits can be realized, what has to be done to the organization so that the benefits can be realized (this requires substantial investment in determining corporate strategies and looking to see if there is a genuine benefit for the corporation).

It's the last question (organizational change) that's the key. If your organization genuinely believes that few internal changes are needed then your organization needs to do a lot more research.

As for support: two totally different internal groups are affected. The technical side is easily identified. The organizational side needs a top-tier executive as the project sponsor and driver. The benefits of project server are realized at the senior management level. Support is needed to drive the organization and process changes. The changes are such that only those at the most senior levels of the organization can mandate that the new processes *must* be implemented and then adhered to.

We are currently using Project Server, and so far feel that it is great. We used to store project files in a job folder, on one or two internal networks, now they are all in one place. Also the email notifications are great. You can change them (I know that much, not exactly sure how, but I know we have) Project Web access has also cut down on the time wasted explaining what is happening next in the project. Everyone on the project can view the schedule without having a licenced copy of project. Project Server also has a type of Document control where you can check-in/check-out documents.

I guess I am saying that we are very happy with Project Server and as a smaller company, still think that it is worth it.

We like it so far, but are still working out changing the email notification to suit our liking. Adam - if you recall how your company was able to modify the emails please let me know!

Thank,

Steve

----------

Steve Budzynski

Ok I am not sure what you are trying to gain. I know that there is a way to take out the links, and change whatever is in the current email, but we did not. We basically added to the existing message.

In Project Web Access (you have to have Admin rights) click on admin - then "Customize Project Web Access" - and in the left hand column there is "emails & notifications". In the default email message we typed in a custom message to be added to the email.

We have not gone super deep in changing this, but some small tweaking when we set it up.

Hope that helps.

Thanks Adam, for some reason I overlooked that section. This is helpful but do you know if you can change font size, underline, etc.

Maybe you need to use HTML code, or maybe this function is not possible?

I understand you have not dug deep into this and understand if you are unable to help you have already been more then helpful!

Thanks,

----------

Steve Budzynski

HTML code didn't seem to work..:-(

----------

Steve Budzynski

I found some helpful material that I am about to go through, this might be useful to you and your company.

----------

Steve Budzynski

I am sorry, that is all that I have. I am guessing that it can be modified any way that you want, but not 100% sure.

Sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back