Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Task Duration and Changing Calendar Dates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nors

MIS
Jul 9, 2003
US
I am major problems trying to set up a project with budgeted hours and specific timelines. Resource Paul to work 6 hours to complete a 6 hour task on Monday. - no problem
Resource Paul to work the remaining 2 hours on Monday on a new 4 hour task and the balance of 2 hours on this task on Tuesday. - Problem: When I enter the 4 hour duration, MP calculates the start and finish dates both on Monday. Then, I have Paul scheduled for 10 hours that day (instead of the normal 8 hours). When I try to change the finish date to Tuesday so he could work 2 hours on this task on Monday and 2 hours on Tuesday, MP automatically increases the duration to 16 hours vs. my original 4 hours. I am having a nightmare of a battle with this issue as all of my tasks will be split between days and I cannot get project to allow for such splitting. I have set the baseline of 4 hours for this task, however, my calendar is a mess because I can't schedule people for accurate dates and times.

I would think this is a basic scheduling/project management function, but I can't seem to find what I am doing wrong. I am using Microsoft Project Standard 2002.

Please help!!!!

Tolls | Options | View tab
Change "Date format" to something showing date and time.

Thank you so much for your help. I changed the date format to include time and it works! However, will I have to go in and manually change all the times? I would think MP would do that automatically if I enter 4 hours for a task's duration, shouldn't it just update the next 4 hours if they should be split between days? Do I have to level resources for it to automatically update?

The default duration is 1 day.

If you have 6 hours of work and you expect it to be accomplished in 6 hours then you must enter 6h in duration.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back