Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

task bar help...... 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

coldfused

Technical User
Jan 27, 2001
US
guys i have no idea why or how to stop this but here goes..

everytime my screensaver comes on now it leaves a blank taskbar square in the taskbar..gets very annoying after three or four times of it coming on..

any ideas?..
logo.gif

carlsatterwhite@orlandomediasolutions.com

Delete (stop) the program by either double left clicking or right-clicking on the 'blank square" and then restart your screensaver. This happens with some programs when they are being loaded into the "explorer taskbar." They are there, but their icon is hidden.

You can also use PC Magazine's StartupManager to restart items that are loaded in your taskbar (Available at Brian
BRBecker20@yahoo.com

ok cool but what programs are being loaded in?..the ones that i am running are there just everytime the screen saver loads it leaves a blank one..

and one more thing how do i make my pc stop shutting down after a certain time..ie: if the screensaver runs for like ten minutes with no activity the computer shuts down to sleep mode?..it didn't start until i cleaned up my registry with reg clean..
logo.gif

The blank taskbar button is something I've had in the past, but it stopped on its own. No idea how or why. My suggestions are what I would try myself. If incorrect, I welcome corrections to my rather limited knowledge. Andy.

StartupManager will show what is running and allow you disable whatever ones you want (one at a time or all at once.) on the next startup. Read its help file or the information online at PC Magazine's site. This is what I use whenever I have a case of disappearing tray Icons, or want to disable something for a while without a lot of fooling around to do it. It's one of the best utilities I've ever downloaded from them!

On the system shutting down... That can be caused by your "Power Management" settings (see control panel" or the little icon that looks like a power plug in your system tray. You can manage the settings for Monitor "shutdown" and disk "shutdown" there. There is also a setting in your bios that controls your system's ability to shutdown in the first place. Sometimes (depending upon monitor type) the system can hang when all you have set to shutdown is your monitor --- and you turn on the screen saver too...

So first I would turn off your screen saver (windows Display Properties) and see if that fixes the problem. Then try the power savings settings (also accessible in the Display properties.) Then Bios... The first thing that works will give you a clue as to what is going on... Brian
BRBecker20@yahoo.com

power management did the trick..wonder why it started after running reg clean?.

anyways thanks alot..much help..
logo.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back