Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

target_blank: how do i make a fixed/no resize window? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

thereink

Technical User
Jul 18, 2003
US
hey all,

i'm working on a gallery utilizing thumbnail images as links to larger photos. how do i restrict the new _blank target browser window to a fixed size - say a borderless, non-resizeable 600x800 frame? i want the new window to appear simple & clean, without any unnecessary background fill.

one more thing while i'm at it - how do you make it so that the viewer can click anywhere on the image to close it?

thanks so much & have a wonderful weekend.

kevo

you would have to use javascript -- window.open function

this topic has been touched on more than a little boy at the Michael Jackson ranch. please search forum first -- then try google -- then if you still cannot find it hope is lost.

zzzzzz

o as for the second part of the question -- window.close function

zzzzzz

so we are talking Pop-up window....try:
Behaviors-->Open Browser window
All the best!

:--------------------------------------------------------------------------:
fugitive.gif

ok,ok...I did shoot the deputy but he told me he was the sheriff!

thanks fellas... i'll work with your suggestions & keep poking around for more specific details, seeing as how i'm i know essentially nothing about javascript. enjoy the holiday.

km

the fix -

just in case anyone else was interested in creating a link that opens a restricted, non-sizeable window, i just figured it out with the help of lebisol (thanks again). it goes something like this:

select the link or hotspot within your webpage and then click on Behaviors (for novices like me, it's the third tab on the Design palette, located in the top right corner of your display). click on the plus sign (+) to drop down the list of options and select Show Events For > IE 6.0. this will allow for more mouse options (as opposed to simply using (onMouseOver); Netscape and earlier Explorer versions are also available, but you may limit input options. next, click the + button again and select Open Browser Window. in the pop-up field, enter URL that you wish to link to, the new window width and fill in whatever other field that might interest you.

return to the Behaviors palette and use the down triangle (right below the Events / Actions heading) to select the specifics of what you want based on the user's mouse function. in this case, i chose (onClick) for the user input, but you can make it so that the new window appears simply by rolling over the link or with many other input functions. lastly, save your page, press F12 and give it a go. you may need to mess around with the size of the image or webpage that you're linking to (within the new window), but this should hopefully work with the lousy directions that i just provided for you.

best of luck & enjoy the day.

kevo

I have a very long webpage and need to break it up into manageble sizes, but am not sure how to go about doing it. I know about the named anchor but not sure what to do with it. Lets say I want to put a new article on the site but not on the front page. Do I put the name of the article in the named anchor spot? or somethin else? Do I just start a new page with the article on it? and link to that? Also I probably need to make a menu bar at the top to link to other articles.
Thanks,
Diane

it sums up to this:
1. you make a link on your (current or any external) page (text, image whatever)with the number sign and name of anchor "my_Page.html#myanchors" in the links field in Properties tab
eg.
<a href="/test/TEST.html#ANCHOR1">link to anchor1 </a>

2. then you simply scroll to the section of your page and Insert and Anchor and name it like you have in the link
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p><a name="ANCHOR1"></a> </p>

it is the quickest way to "jump" to page sections and eliminate the need to looooooong scroooools
All the best!

fugitive.gif

ok,ok...I did shoot the deputy but he told me he was the sheriff!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back