Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

tar: tape read error

Status
Not open for further replies.

inma

Technical User
Apr 5, 2001
ES
When I want to list the table of a tape writed with a tar command like this:
tar -tvf /dev/rmt/1n

this message appears:

tar: tape read error

the tape was written successfully because the first time I used the same command as now:
tar tvf /dev/rmt/1n, 2 times and finally tar tvf /dev/rmt/1 but always show the message tar: tape read error.

To create the tape I used:
tar cvf /dev/rmt/1n disk1
tar cvf /dev/rmt/1n disk2
tar cvf /dev/rmt/1 disk3

Anybody can help me?

Thanks,

If you do mt -f /dev/rmt/1n fsf 2 (to position the tape at the bebinning of the third save (the first being position 0)), then try the tar tvf, does it work?

Hi KenCunningham, when I do "mt -f /dev/rmt/1n fsf 2", this message appears:
/dev/rmt/1n fsf 2 failed: I/O error
Then I have tried with "mt -f /dev/rmt/1n fsf 1" and it works OK, but when I do "tar tvf /dev/rmt/1n", this message appears: tar: blocksize = 0.
Thanks.

Inma,
You could have a bad or dirty tape. Clean you tape drive prior to doing your tar again. Another thing... Are these tapes 8mm? If so, are the tapes 160m? A few years ago, I had alot of problems with the 160m tapes. Would get no errors when I wrote to the tapes... Would get the read error when I tried to read them... 112m tapes would work with out any problems. Sun came in and replaced the 8mm drive. Still had intermittent problems. Now I only use the 112m tapes.

Thanks Bfitzmai for your answering. I had cleaned the tape drive.
I am using a hp dds-2 tape, 4 mm, compressed capacity: 8GB, that was written in a DDS-2 tape drive of Sun (Solaris 5.5)and "tar cvf /dev/rmt/1n" for some files.
Now, I want to read it in a DDS-3 tape drive of Sun (Solaris 5.8) and I use "tar tvf /dev/rmt/1n" after rewind it, and show this messages: tar: tape read error

I do "tcopy /dev/rmt/1" and this message appears:
file 1: eof after 0 records: 0 bytes
eot
total length: 0 bytes.

Inma

Hmm. I've had problems with incompatibilities between DDS2 and DDS3/4 before - maybe that's the case here too. Can the tape still be read on the drive it was written on?

Hi KenCunningham, thanks for your reponse.
Now I haven't the drive where the tape was written because it was broken up.

I'll try to find another one.

Thanks again.
Inma

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back