Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

tar -k size - how does it work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 12, 2002
NO
Hi,

I have been presented with a large (200GB) tar file, and I am trying to reduce it to manageable(2GB) chunks, without corrupting the data contained within.

I could use "split" to split it up, but then each individual file is useless, and relies on being able to create a 200GB file on future OS - not guaranteed.

I have looked into the man for tar and see the "-k size" option, so I'm thinking of untarring the data, then re-tar it using this -k option.

My question is this: when taring into specified sizes, will data that would potentially be split between two adjacent tar files be split up, thus potentially corrupted, or is the tar command smart enough to not bundle a file that is going to take it over the size limit, and put it into the next tar file instead?

I hope this makes *some* sense to *someone*!

I guess I could run it and see, but just wanted some tek-tips advice!

Cheers,
littleIdiot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back