Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

tar + hardware compression

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voja

Programmer
Aug 20, 2003
YU
hello
I've read some of documentation about the subject but did not find a good solution for it. The problem is:
Tar puts xxxx-20% (xxxx=DDS2-3-4 capacity, dds4=20-4gb in this case) on the tape and I can't make it to use hardware compression at least. Now, I'm using default values - could block size of 0 be a solution for full capacity (dds4=20gb, for instance)?
why does mt -f /dev/st0 compression 0,1,2 give no result?
Hardware:
Ibm e series x server 235 with seagate dds4 tape.

Voja,

Seagate tape drives have a dip switch that must be on before hardware compression will be used. You may want to check the position of the switches.

Just taking a guess at the model you have (STD2401LW ??) it would be Switch 1. Also Switches 5-8 are changed depending on the operating system you are using. You may want to inspect those as well.

Here's a manual page:

Hope this helps,
Shaman

well, the drive is seagate dat 9sp40-000 actually, but you gave me another idea-to look for the dip switch.
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back