Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Tar files uncompression

Status
Not open for further replies.

techhead100k

Technical User
Mar 18, 2003
US
I use the winxp os

I am not familiar with tar files and how to uncompress them. Zip files yes, but how do you uncompress tar?

I have tried to get phpmyadmin up and running with no luck. I tried it with the zip files not yet with the tar.

Thanks

Charlie

Would you mind telling us what OS you are operating?
That will help us give more accurate replies.

DRJ4, I think he indicated which os in the beginning of his statement: "I use the winxp os..." (Windows XP).

techhead,

Have you tried using Winzip?

Gary
gwinn7
A+, N+, I+

Ok,

I just setup phpmyadmin under Windows XP a few days ago. No trouble at all. I used the zipped version 2.4.0

The .tar archive doesn't contain anything different than the zipped version.
There should be absolutely no need to move any files around.

Where did you install the files? They should be somwhere in the tree that the webserver can read.

Thank you for the replies.

I unzipped the 2.4.0 (using cuteZIP) into a folder named phpMyAdmin 2.4.0

At this point, I don't see any libraries subfolder, but I see .lib.php files all over the main phpMyAdmin folder.

I edit the config.inc.php file with notepad, placing the server, user, password, and db_name information.

With cuteftp, I create a folder named phpmyadmin and then ftp the files into that folder the first time and later copy the phpmyadmin folder to MS Front Page web and publish with the same failed results.

keeping in mind that there is no visible libraries folder

I get an error msg telling me that a path is wrong for the libraries subfolder so I look at the index file and see the path refering to the libraries folder with some .lib.php files

I create the libraries subfolder and place all the .lib.php files into that folder

I again try to load myurl.com/phpmyadmin and get a blank white screen

The I mess with the password, user, server info in the config.inc.php file and nothing changes (still a blank white screen)

Now I have deleted the phpmyadmin folder and am ready to try again, but what to do different?

Charlie

When you unzip it, you have to make sure that "Use folder names" is checked

I figured it out! My zipped file was unzipping incorrectly. I changed the way it unzips so it would include the sub folders and now it works perfeclty.

Thanks everyone for helping me step through it.

Charlie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back