Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now

Status
Not open for further replies.

KPKIND

Technical User
Sep 8, 2003
IN
Hi *,

I was trying to make a tar file using GNU tar version 1.15.1. While creating the tar file it has given me this error (The one given in the subject line). Can anyone let me know what could be the problem behind this.

The error message also said "Wrote only 4096 of 10240 byte". I also have enough disk space.

To let you know, I have tried the same command(tar cvf /filename.tar *) a few more times which has failed. After 3-4 times it has worked and created the tar file. There were no changes made during this tries.

TIA
Kumar

How many file are you trying to tar and what's your AIX version ?

tar -cvf /filename.tar is going to make a tar file in /

are you sure you have enough space in the / filesystem?

Thanks for the response.

The version of AIX I am running AIX 5.2 with ML6. Yes I have sufficient space in the filesystem where I am trying to place the tar file.

TIA
Kumar

Did you check /etc/security/limits for a line like this ?
root:
fsize = -1
you can't create a file bigger than 2GB / default

Also check for bigfile option (bf=true) if you are using jfs.

Did you try in another FS?

There is no problem with ulimit values, b'coz the file size that I was trying to create is much less than 2GB. But to clarify your question yes everything is set to unlimited. The file system is also Big file enabled file system.

No I have not tries on another FS. After running the same command for couple of times, it has worked in the same FS.

TIA
Kumar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back