Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

TAR Command and Spanning Multiple Backup Tapes

Status
Not open for further replies.

wrenvt97

MIS
May 15, 2002
FR
When backing up a directory that will not fit on one tape I get the following prompt when the first tape is full.

"Tar: end of tape"
"Tar: to continue, enter device/file name when ready or null string to quit."

What should be my next steps from here to be able to insert the next tape and continue with the backup from the last point?

With respect to the initial tar command, I have read about the -M option with the tar command to be able to solve the above spanning multiple tape issue; however, have not been able to successfully utilize this option.

How should I structure my tar commands to prompt me to insert the next tape?

Thanks for any help!

When asked for device/filename, you need to insert the next tape and then respond (for example) /dev/rmt/0cbn (or whatever device you specified in your original tar command). Not sure about the -M option, I'll need to look it up. Hope this helps.

Ah, found it. -M stands for multi-volume, as I might have guessed from the above. Not all flavours of *nix support this option and I've a feeling I've heard somewhere in the dim and distant that it's not too reliable anyway. Perhaps someone with experience can confim or deny this?

Thanks for the help, after inserting a new tape, I'll give my device name /dev/rmt/0m the next time I see the prompt.

As far as the -M option, I did try that one as 'tar -cvM' (and other flavors) to no avail, it was not recognized on my system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back