Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Tapes stuck in backup library

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drolaw

MIS
Jun 26, 2001
I'm using BackupExec 9.1 on a Windows 2000 server. This past weekend my backup accidently placed the LTO2 tapes in our Dell PowerVault 132T library wrong. Now we cannot get the tapes out. She placed them in the movable trays. Anyone ever had this problem and/or know how to remedy this?

I would hate to call Dell and hear the words..your warranty doesn't cover this. Yick.

Any suggestions would be HIGHLY appreciated.

The only thing you can do is stop the Backup Exec services and manually use the Front Panel of the powervault and export. If they are still stuck then ..you need to call Dell

I have a PowerVault 136T. I have had tapes get stuck in the tape drives. (Not the same situation as you, but read on). I manually ejected the tape and put it into the correct slot. After rebooting the library, Backup Exec still saw the tape as being in the tape drive. I could do inventory of the slot and it would find the tape. But you can't inventory a drive. Finally, I rebooted (powered off and back on) the library and once that came back up (fully), I rebooted the backup server. That recognized where all the tapes were and I was fine.

So, I suggest you manually move the tapes to the proper location and reboot the library - that will get the library to recognize where the tapes are. Then do an inventory of the slots (where the tape WAS and where it is now). If that solves the issue - great. If not, reboot the server.

-SQLBill

Posting advice: FAQ481-4875

Thanks SQLBill, The problem is the tapes were put in upside down so the machanical arm nor myself can remove the tapes from the tray. Apparantly, the green eject button is stick inside the open area on the tape and if you pull on the tape the arm keeps the tape locked in place. The only way I can think of is to somehow break the tape in to pieces and remove them that way. I may have to do that if Dell won't help me for free.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back