Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Tapes on Definity G3r (v6)

Status
Not open for further replies.

eveton

Technical User
Jun 6, 2002
GB
Has anyone overcome the problem of obtaining system back up Tapes for Definity G3r (v6) at reasonable cost instead of the massive £500/each from Avaya & partners?
Thanks
Tony "Question - How do you know when you've run out of invisible ink???"

I didn't even know they still used tapes.
We went to a flash card years ago when we upgraded to V4
of course thats is an SI not a R

When we were on V6 there was, at one time, a Format Tape command if you had the higher level maintenance permissions. I think they took it away though

We had that same problem when we had V6 and we still have it with the optical disks on V9. The best (or worst) answer I have gotten is the cost is for the proprietary software on the tape/disk and, of course, the honor of having Avaya format them for you.

Sorry I couldn't help more.

There is a firmware counter involved when using tapes. You can always use any G3R tapes as long as the load is older than what you are currently using. A back disk full will overwrite to your current load. Just make sure you correctly label and date your tapes.
The newer optical drive TN2211V5 is best though.

I have been told you can use other G3R tapes of an older load. A back disk full will overwrite with your current load. Be sure to relabel and date your tapes. There is a firmware counter involved with tapes to make sure they do not exceed their intended lifespan.

Thanks guys.....VES, please give me an email address to obtain costs & delivery details, thanks.
Tony "Question - How do you know when you've run out of invisible ink???"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back