Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Tapeeng.exe error

Status
Not open for further replies.

ross7

Technical User
Feb 26, 2004
GB
I'm using v11 and I am trying to implement a backup to file GFS for 25 sites over our network.

Each site has it's own backup job and since it has to be GFS I have set up over 150 media through device configuration manager. The media has been created automatically but my problem now is that the tape engine will not start giving:

Faulting Application tapeeng.exe, version 11.0.2670.19, faulting module tapeng.dll

Whilist it is great to backup to disk it has many many good benefits but GFS was really designed for tapes. In fact if you get your calculations right your going to need a Whopping big disk drive to back all those servers up.
I would create a new media pool that allows differential backups (differentials give faster restores that incrementals) with a retention period of 1 day. That way your File system device will not grow big (well not too big)

Creating 150 file system devices is of course going to be too much pressure for your I/O on your server - no wonder it DR Watsons on you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back