Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

tapecopy for autoloader (Sony LIB-D81)

Status
Not open for further replies.

krobert

MIS
Dec 27, 2006
US
I just installed our new Sony LIB-D81 Autoloader. I would like to have a 4 tape rotation system. This would leave me 4 tapes to leave on site each day. After the backups run each evening, I would like to copy from tape 1 to tape 5, tape 2 to tape 6, etc. I keep getting an error as follows:

Connect to target tape failed, rc [27]
Tape copy failed.

The command I was using is as follows:
tapecopy -s GROUP2 -d ONSITE -t"NAME OF TAPE 1", -c"COPY 5 TAPE" -idd xxxx -zd 1 -o

The xxxx is the Tape ID.

I am sure I am missing something simple, but if anyone has had any success, please let me know. Thank you very much for your assistance.

Kelly

This is an autoloader with only one tape drive right ?

You cannot use the tapecopy command with just one tape drive, you need at least two drives to accomplish this.

regards

Yes you are correct it is an Autoloader with one tape drive, but I was told by ca this could be done if I made a new group and put the 4 in rotation in one group the the 4 tapes I want to copy to in another group. I have a tech from ca that is suppose to call me back tomorrow, but his English is a little hard to understand at times. I was hoping to find something on this forum before he called back.

time to re-think your setup.

either get another drive or backup to a FSD.
then tapecopy from FSD to tape for offsite.

for tapecopy you need a source AND a destination tape drive. You cannot copy data from a source tape that is loaded in
drive A to a destination tape that is loaded in .....drive A.
Whatever CA tells you this cannot be accomplished with an autoloader.
Like David mentions: go to a backup-to-disk-copy-to-tape
(or disk staging) scenario

regards

I did finally get a call back from CA and as each of you said, I can not do this. I am going do the backup-to-disk-copy-to-tape. Thank you for all your assistance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back