Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Tape vs External Drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

trojanman

IS-IT--Management
Jun 14, 2006
US
We are getting a new server soon: Win2k3, Raid5.

Our current server backs up to a tape drive. My employer is considering external hard drives for the new server's backup solution. I dont like this idea, Ive always preferred tape drives.

What are your thoughts on backing up to external disk? Do you prefer one over the other? Pros and cons?

All comments appreciated.

I have answered questions like this so often (though not in this forum) that I've but together a web page discussing what you should use depending on the requirements of your business - no two or three paragraph answer is going to be correct for everyone. Read this and if you have additional questions, I'm sure I or someone else can answer them.

In short, I GENERALLY recommend Disk based solutions for most people who need to backup under 500 GB regularly. Tape for those who need to backup more. And Tape for those who need to archive backups. But you really should read through the link.

Quick note - There is almost NO CIRCUMSTANCE where I would recommend Rev Drives - my reasoning is found in the link above.

I do backups to a 2TB NAS device which is patched to a Gigabit switch. I do tape backups (archiving) of the NAS device to an LTO Ultrium 3 400/800GB drive. Pretty easy stuff and very efficient...if you have the $$

daveyd is the LTO plugged directly into the NAS or is it done by a remote backup srv?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back