Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Tape Vs DVD-R

Status
Not open for further replies.

araspa

IS-IT--Management
Aug 4, 2003
AU
We recommend to pharmacies what backup solution they should have in place.

We are finding a trend that more and more want DVD as backup solution.

Personally I dont think they are a business solution. Our database which they have to backup is only 4 gig max (so a DVDR can do it) The only thing is the data is IMPORTANT!

So Im interested in hearing your Pro's and Con's about this.

Cheers
Anthony

What is to happen when the database grows larger than 4GB?

Does the database have to be down to backup? If so, a DVD backup solution would be slower than a tape solution.

I cant ever see the DB gowing bigger than 4.7 gig. We have customers in place for 5-6 years and its 1 gig. So it will be a VERY long time (10 years) before it goes over that mark.

The Database is shut down for maintence at a predetermined time and copied to another HDD in the server for backup (say F:). The backup is then done from this drive F:. (this is done so a) we have a copy of last nights data (replaced nightly) and b)we have an additional failsafe of a tape which gets replaced on a weekly cycle.

I think the cost will end up being the ultimate factor here. With DVR you cannot reuse, thus costing around $5 for every day and having to use a new media each time. With tape, it might cost you $30 for a new one but can be reused for years.

> With tape, it might cost you $30 for a new one but can be reused for years.

Tapes should be rotated out of use long before a year. Tape rotation is somewhat dependant on how and what you backup but I'd never use a daily tape for a year. Maybe a monthly tape but not a daily or even a weekly tape.

My 2 cents,

FredUG

We are using dvd-rw's for backing up a small server at a remote location. It seems to be working pretty well for us.

We have set a normal rotation schedule and reuse the media for incrementals and save monthly for archive.

We are using a very inexpensive software package called Backup Now. About $100 for the deluxe version, available from NewTech Infosystems. It doesn't have a lot of bells and whistles but is very easy to setup and use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back