Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Tape Name Check

Status
Not open for further replies.

JBPARIS

Technical User
Nov 26, 2002
GB
Before SP4 we were running two backup jobs per day.

The first backup job uses the GFS 5 day full rotation job will automatic Tape Labeling and runs around midday.

The second job would run in the evening and would be on a custom schedule and data would be appended to the tape.

We did this so that all the daily backups would have a GFS tape name and during the day, when the GFS job ran, if the incorrect tape was not in the drive (not from the pool) it would fail and we would be notified.

A Glorious Tape Check Job :)

Problem we have now,using SP4 the second nightly job will not append to the tape and request a blank tape and then fails. I have come to the conclusion that you cannot append data onto a GFS tape.

Does anyone know how to get around this, or know of another method to run the above daily Tape Check.

Thanks in Advance

Justs

Data will not be appended to a FULL backup tape So it Shall be Written!
So it Shall be Done!!

Thanks for the replies.

Andy, we have tried that already, but it only works on the scratch tapes. So when the GFS job runs in the afternoon (This only backs up one file,1KB)
it automatically labels the tape and puts it in the save set.

So in the eveing when the real (custom schedule) backup runs, it cannot appened.

Do you know of a way to get the tape into the scratch set after it has been labled? What are the downsides of this?

Thanks Again

Justs

Justs

use the media pool manager to assign media to save sets of pools, this is the way to assign and remove media from pools. As far as I know there are no downsides to this

regards

Moving the media after the GFS job has run to the scratch pool would work, but I would have to do this on each server everyday after the midday GFS job.

I tried putting the retension time to 0, but it still holds the days tape in the save set.

The only workaround I have found so far is that once the GFS job has run click the name of the tape in the destination tab. You have to do this every day on every server. Great 'n it.

CA say this is by design. If you look in the laundry list of SP4 fixes it says "custom jobs will no longer incorrectly append to tapes in the save set".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back