Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

tape error

Status
Not open for further replies.

vti

Technical User
Feb 26, 2001
TR
Hi All
I have a enoyying problem that when i try to use my DDS tape driver it gives this message.;

"tar: cannot open /dev/DAT: No such device or address"
if i look /dev i can see there is DAT device

It was working properly last week

Any idea?

hi there!
strange thing. have you installed any new devices (ex. scsi hdd, or cdrom etc.) recently? if so, maybe the LUN has changed for some strange reason.

Check the rights on /dev/DAT.
//DG

Hi
No,I haven't installed any new device or something.And i can see this

crw-rw-rw- 1 root system 9,17410 Apr 16 10:39 DAT

hmmm, ok.
what is your UNiX-flavor?
Im a little curious on that number ",17410"
and as you can see the file has been changed Monday this week.
thats a little bit strange.
have you tried to remake the device?

//DG

I don't know how to remake .The date is different because i have moved it today with different name to try ,and move that with same name(DAT).

Time to delete the item. Then re-install it. Something has corrupted it. On some it is done with mkdev tape. Ed Fair
efair@atlnet.com

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply.

Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

hi
I think delete the item would be good idea but i don't know how to re-install it again,would you please explain me,

thanks for help.

Regards.

hi

if you have a similar working system or if you remember the major number and minor number of similarly configured tapedevice then try using mknod . check the man pages of mknod for further info.

for installing fresh use mkdev tape give the scsi id ,lun etc . rebuild the kernel and device will be ready.
hope this will help you.

Roy

I have tried with MAKEDEV command and now it's work well.
Thanks so much

Ragards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back