Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Tape Engine will not start 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

GSC

MIS
Mar 27, 2001
EU
Hi,
The tape engine on our server will not start and the error message in the Event Viewer is:
Can not create a file when that file already exists.
The server is a Win NT 4.0 with SP6a. Arcserve 2000 is installed (Build 1100) Tape library.
The backgroud to the issue is that we had SCSI errors in the Activity log (E6300) and after consulting HP they said that we should update our firmware. We did and now the Tape Engine won't start.
Any ideas?
Thanks,
GSC

Try re-running the device configuration; I have seen that firmware updates to tapedrives brings ARCserve to loose the device configuration.

Hope that helps,
Conny

Since the Tape Engine is down there isn't really a lot that I can do in the Device Configuration..

GSC

No, not inside ARCserve Manager, start it from Start Menu; usually when you start it, it stops the tape engine anyway (at least it did when I configured my library). Then you will have to go through the library setup again.

Conny

It kinda works now but still not.
We have two sdlt's in the tape library. However when I check the device configuration the second sdlt is not in the correct group, group 0, but in group 1. When I try to move it from group 1 to group 0 i get the error message " can not add device sdlt 100 gb ldrv to group 0, group has another type of drives"
Both are the same but i still can't add it in the group 0..
Any ideas?
Thanks!
GSC

Hm .. I have never seen that one.
If you know what the library setup is like, I would now go for reinstalling the entire library config.
Unistall the tape library option via add/remove programs, delete (or better export and then delete, thus you are able go back to where you are now) the TapeEnginge part of the registry (HKLM\SW\CA\Brightstore ARCserve Backup\Base\TapeEngine), reboot the machine. Then reinstall the library option and configure it.
Unfortunately, I have seen device config getting screwed up by firmware updates to tapedrives very often. In the end I found that a fresh reinstall of the library option was (in the long run) the easiest method.

Hope this helps,
Conny

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back