Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Tape Engine Stops

Status
Not open for further replies.

rrkano

IS-IT--Management
Jul 26, 2004
US
I have version 9.x of Brightstor ArcServe and at the begining of my nightly job, the tape engine stopped. I got in this morning, restarted it, and now the backup is running. Why would this happen? Is this a hardware issue? I also, quite frequently, get EC=Hardware Controller errors...I'm guessing that either the SCSI card or the tape library is on its last legs.

the hardware error should not result in the Tape Engine stopping.

I'd say for now monitor it to see if it happens again.

I looked at the Errors more closely and there doesn't seem to be any consistency.

It happens at different times during the backup...one time it said, "Unable to Position Media" another time it said "Drive Hardware Error - Servo or Sensor" then immediately following that, it said "Unable to Write to Media".

This morning I walked in and I had to run through the Device Configuration again. This seems to happen once every week or two. Very strange.

It may be a drive fault - check the absl number to see if it is reporting errors on the same absl number all the time or whether it affects two different absl numbers. If it's just the one this possibly could indicate a drive fault.

those all sound like hardware level problems, ck on this with the hardware vendor support

I did a full backup job of one of our servers today and the Tape Engine stopped after the job was finished. There is nothing in the activity log about it. Strange.

When I do see an entry in the activity log it does always show the same absl number. In any case, I've ordered a new Overland Tape Library as I feel like our current TL is on it's last legs.

Thanks for all the help and advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back