Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Tape ejection

Status
Not open for further replies.

longlivegoku

IS-IT--Management
Feb 13, 2002
US
We have 3 servers running BAB. Two with version 9. One with version 11. Both the version nine servers are having problems with keeping the tapes ejected. They have a DLT 8000 and an LTO Ultrium tape drives. Both will eject the tape right after the job is completed and then take the tapes back in. So I watch the tape on the Ultrium drive eject and then come back 1/2 hour later and the tape is back in the drive. Odd problem and not sure if it is a software issue or a drive firmware issue. Any ideas are appreciated.

Ed

Does not make sense to me.

I thought the DLT 8000 had a lever that had to be flipped up to eject the tape from the drive???

And for each a tape has to be pushed into the drive for it to load, so it does not seem likely that a tape would reload without operator intervention.

The tape will eject from the Ultrium but does get sucked back in...I have no idea. With the DLT8K it turns green like it's ready to be taken out and then a bit later will turn to an amber light. Once you pretty the unload button it turns green within 2 seconds so it's not fully 'loading' it again. I have the latest firmware for the DLT and will load the newest for the LTO when I get a chance. I just don't know whether it's hardware or software....

Doing a firmware update on the LTO drive seemed to fix that problem. Still seeing the same thing on the DLT drive though. This is probably a dumb question but is it possible to put an older version of the firmware on the drive? I highly doubt it but will ask.

Ed

It is not recommended to install and older version of the firmware.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back