Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Tape Ejecting Before Backup Job

Status
Not open for further replies.

debsw1

Technical User
Jun 25, 2003
GB
We have 2 customers with the same issue, for some reason the tape appears to eject from the drive on its own accord, thus when the scheduled backup starts it is constantly asking for a tape to be inserted. This is not happening every single day and there doesn't appear to be any pattern to it failing, there are no errors written to the event viewer regarding the tape or drive when it happens.

Both customers are using Backup Exec, one is V11d, the other 9.1, they are different tape drives, 1 is a HP Ultrium, the other a Sony AIT, both servers are running SBS 2003.

We have run full tests on the drive and media, these have come back all ok. The site with the HP drive and V11d is running the latest firmware and drivers.

Just wondering if anyone else is having this issue or might have any idea's of why it is happening.

Regards
Debbie

Check the append period on the tapes that are being ejected. Perhaps they are out of date and cannot be written to, therefore are being rejected before the job runs.

Just a thought...

Check the drivers. Tape drive should have "symantec" drivers.

Also check for the physical lock on the tape..........!

Thanks for replys.

The append period on tapes is set to 1 day, a tape that fails has not been used for 14 days, both sites are running a 10 tape cycle and tapes are being put in strict rotation.

The physical lock isn't on on the tape, we can insert the tape on the morning without doing anything to it and run an inventory, catlog and backup to it.

I will get the drivers checked, engineer said that they were on the latest but not sure if using Symantec drivers.

Regards
Debbie

Debbie,

I'm having an identical problem. Did you find a resolution?

Thanks

Mike

Mike

Not found a 100% successful solution but definately the problem is better, we have changed the drive which seemed to help a bit, at the least the problem became less frequent but not sure if just a coincidence. We have since totally wiped Backup Exec and reinstalled, latest drivers / firmware etc., since then the tape has only ejected on the site once in 3 months. HP are adament its not a hardware issue but we have done everything on the software side as well.

Sorry cannot be of much help.

Regards
Debbie

Debbie,

Thanks for your quick response. I am at the same point that you are. The problem is intermittent and there doesnt seem to be a good reason that it happens. If I should uncover anything else I will post.

Mike

As weird as this may sound, I've seen SCSI terminators create some very erratic problems... Replacing them and the cables is a pretty cheap way of saying "at least we know it's not that".

"We must fall back upon the old axiom that when all other contingencies fail, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." - Sherlock Holmes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back