Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Tape Drive to Volume SCSI

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThunderForest

IS-IT--Management
Mar 3, 2003
US
NW 5.0 SB

I'm using an Adaptec 29160 to SCSI to my VXA-2 tape drive. Can I SCSI an additional Netware volume to this? After or before the VXA-2? Thanks.

Getting answers before I'm asked
is why I go to Tek-Tips.

a 29160 will allow you to connect 15 or maybe 30 devices.
You can add as many harddisks as possible as long as they don't have the same ID's.

Order of ID's is not important.

Regards

Frederico Fonseca
SysSoft Integrated Ltd

But you cannot use RAID on the 29160 so if you want RAID you'll have to go for a RAID controller

-----------------------------------------------------
"It's true, its damn true!"
-----------------------------------------------------

I would go one step further and recommend that you never put a tape drive on the same SCSI bus as the hard drives. I have seem too many "strange" issues in cases like this.

Adaptec 29160 controllers are fairly cheap so put the drives on their own controller.

gwexpertslogo.jpg

Gioffre Consulting
Check out our Novell Training Cruises

I STRONGLY agree with gioffre. Never attach tape and hard drives on the same SCSI bus or card. I also avoid attaching internal and external SCSI devices to the same card. The potential problems (and disaster) FAR outweigh the cost of a second card.

R.Sobelman

Thought I heard/read something like that, which is why I posed the question in the first place. Although it's good to know I can tag a lot of stuff on the 29160, I still have some available slots and will get another. Thanks to all.

Getting answers before I'm asked
is why I go to Tek-Tips.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back