Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

TAPE DRIVE PROBLEM 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobertBrauchler

Technical User
Sep 4, 2001
US
The tape drive has been running fine for months, then all of a sudden it doesn't recognize the media. I made sure to run the tape drive cleaner a few times through, although it hadn't been cleaned in a while, that didn't work. I tried buying some new tapes, that didn't work. I am now looking to purchase a new larger capacity external drive to see if that will fix the problem. The internal one is a Seagate, I downloaded the diagnostic program from Seagate and it says it is unable to communicate with drive. I checked all the settings, nothing had changed. I guess it's possible the drive could just be malfunctioning, that is the only option I am left with unless anyone has any other ideas.
thanks.

I've had similar problems and resolved them by:
1. Power cycle the drive
2. Checked all connections to the drive

I too have this problem. I have replace the cables, and the external tape drive, that were under warranty. I have updated the SCSI controller on the Compaq Proliant 3000 server. The problem still occurs but not very often. The power cycle fixes the problem each time it happens. My next step is to replace the SCSI on the server.

I too have this problem. I have replaced the cable and the external tape drive, that were under warranty. I have updated the SCSI controller on the Compaq Proliant 3000 server. The problem still occurs but not very often. The power cycle fixes the problem each time it happens. My next step is to replace the SCSI on the server.

Did you Robert get any answer o anybody has an answer on ow to power cycle a tape drive?
Many thanks.

Power Cycle is basic for shutting down the Server and hitting the power off button or switch to kill power to the
Server.... Then Power the system and watch for the Tape Drive system as it boots up....
You should be spanked for not setting up a regular cleaning
schedule ( at least once a week or once a month depending on your environment.... Clean dust free or nasty dirty)

power cycled, check connections, still doesn't work.
Should I just buy a new external tape drive and try hooking that up?

I daisychained 2 Compaq 15/30 DLT External Tape Drive. The 2 drives an be detected upon boot up but when I started to run a backup job, only about 3MB to 10MB is backed up then it fails. When I checked the log, errors says "Device "device name" reported an error on the request to write data to media. The the next line says "The request could not be performed because of I/O device error.

Firist drive is set as SCSI ID 5 and the second DLT drive as SCSI ID 6.

When I removed the other drive including the SCSI cable, the backup job simply worked fine and job is completed without problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back