Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Tape drive problem or legato problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTan

Technical User
Oct 9, 2001
SG
Hi,

I have been encountering tape reading errors on specific tape drives in StorageTek Library, running on Legato-motified backup software.

Error Messages from the message logs
============================================
grep "Cannot decode" 10.16.04
10/16/04 12:42:01 nsrd: media notice: Volume "P4S002" on device "/dev/rmt/1cbn": Cannot decode block. Verify the device configuration. Tape positioning by record is disabled.
Solstice Backup meSolstice Backup media: (notice) Volume "P4S002" on device "/dev/rmt/1cbn": Cannot decode block. Verify the device configuration. Tape positioning by record is disabled.

This type of erroneous messages occurs in DIFFERENT tapes in the SAME drive. And from observation, this type of error only happens during "read i/o" process. Anyone encountered the same problem before and could enlighten me?

TIA....= )

There are potential problems are as follows:

- st.conf has been misconfigured
On the other hand, the problem does not aplly to the other drives in the jukebox. Obviously this is not the problem.

- NetWorker's block size for the device has been misconfigured. Please check.

- You got a media written by another server/storage node with another block size. This most obviously happens if you imported the media from a Windows machine. In this case, you must adjust the block size for the device.

- If all above does not fit, the problem could still be either media or drive related. Try to use another device.

Hello,
During my restore process I have been receiving the following error:
nsrd: media notice: Volume "002729" on device "rd=explorer:/dev/nrmt3h": Cannot decode block. Verify the device configuration. Tape positioning by record is disabled.
My Legato server and clients all run on TRU64/Alpha servers.

My backup settings from Informix is set to use
6 sessions,
TAPEBLK 256
TAPESIZE 40000000

Legato writes 6 sessions to tape and extends to multiple tapes depending on the size.

Any help will be appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back