Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

tape contents 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 12, 2002
SG
Hi,
how can i know what are the data that is backed up onto a tape?
thanks

Check this thread:

thread776-442980 just attempt a restore, without actually doing the restore.

is there a command to prevent the backup from append images to a tape which contains unexpired images ?

Possibly there may be a way to do this, but typically in the past when I wanted not to append to a tape, I'd just eject the tape, then it's not available for appending. As I'm not at work, I don't have access to the system to explore another method.

"how can i know what are the data that is backed up onto a tape?
thanks"

-NBU 3.4 or 4.5? There is a big difference. Also, if you get a status 0 on your job, you backed up everything that you specified. If not, you will get a 1.

"is there a command to prevent the backup from append images to a tape which contains unexpired images ?"

- <install_path>VERITAS\NetBackup\bin\bpmedia -freeze -ev <media_id>

*This will freeze the media so that nothing attempts to use it. This way you need not remove it from your robot. You may unfreeze the media with the same command, different switch.

<install_path>VERITAS\NetBackup\bin\bpmedia -unfreeze -ev <media_id>

defstar,

I like your suggestion of using freeze. Deserves a star...

Too bad Veritas soes not support media management that well in its GUI!!
Good advice: read the media manager manual provided to you on your product CD and get acquinted with all its lovely possibilities! Jan Meijer
COMPAREX Nederland BV

To answer the original question:
&quot;how can i know what are the data that is backed up onto a tape?&quot;

bpimmedia -mediaid <TapeNumber> -L

Another way to prevent data from being written to the tape is to put the write protect tab on - When the tape is loaded, Veritas sees the write protect tab and automatically freezes that tape.

And ... To keep track of frozen tapes I run the following script daily...
#!/bin/sh

src1=d:/veritas/ScriptFiles/Check_Tapes_Frozen/tapelist.txt
src2=d:/temp/tapelist1.txt
rep=d:/veritas/backupresults/Frozen_Tapes.txt
hist=//sherlock/reports/Veritas/Frozen_Tapes/Frozen_Tapes.txt

if [ -f $hist ];then
rm $hist
fi

echo &quot; FROZEN Tape Report for `date`&quot; > $rep
echo &quot;========================================================================== &quot; >> $rep
echo &quot;&quot; >> $rep
echo &quot;Open a remote command prompt to Your Master Server or and run: &quot; >> $rep
echo &quot; bpmedia -unfreeze -m <Tape Number> -h <Server name> or:&quot; >> $rep
echo &quot; bpmedia -unsuspend -m <Tape Number> -h <Server name> if suspended&quot; >> $rep
echo &quot;&quot; >> $rep
echo &quot;========================================================================== &quot; >> $rep

cat $src1 | grep &quot; &quot; | grep -v &quot;last&quot; > $src2 # This leaves a file without blank lines or header lines

cat $src2 | while read line
do

Print=no
if [ &quot;$(echo $line | awk '{print $1}')&quot; = &quot;Server&quot; ]
then
#ServerName=$(echo $line | awk '{print $4}' | vis)
ServerName=$(echo $line | awk '{print $4}' )
fi

TapeNumber1=$(echo $line | awk '{print $1}') # Tape number, if valid

if [ &quot;$(echo $line | grep FROZEN 1>/dev/null 2>&1 ; echo $?)&quot; = &quot;0&quot; ]
then
if [ &quot;$(echo $line | grep SUSPENDED 1>/dev/null 2>&1 ; echo $?)&quot; = &quot;0&quot; ]
then
TapeState=&quot;Frozen Suspended&quot;
Print=yes
else
TapeState=&quot;Frozen&quot;
Print=yes
fi
else
if [ &quot;$(echo $line | grep SUSPENDED 1>/dev/null 2>&1 ; echo $?)&quot; = &quot;0&quot; ]
then
TapeState=&quot;Suspended&quot;
Print=yes
fi

fi

if [ &quot;${Print}&quot; = &quot;yes&quot; ]
then
echo &quot;Server name: ${ServerName}\tTape number: ${TapeNumber2}\tTape State: ${TapeState}&quot; >> ${rep}
echo &quot;${ServerName} ${TapeNumber2} ${TapeState}&quot; >> ${hist}

fi

TapeNumber2=${TapeNumber1}

done

exit

If you find this useful - Mark it as helpful so that others can benefit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back