Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Tape Backup

Status
Not open for further replies.

bard9

IS-IT--Management
Jun 26, 2001
US
I am currently backing up my data to 8mm tape using the tar command. The tape drive is an old 5/10 gb (7208). I am looking to upgrade software and hardware. What is a good tape drive that we could grow into. Currently we are backing up 10gb. Also I would like backup software that would produce a log. I do this with a script. I would like to backup up servers with one tape drive. Any sugestions?

Clearly the need should be assessed first and the hardware should fit the need.
If you are backing up only 10Gb, 4mm DAT will suffice but this is not a durable medium and you will not be future-proofed.
DLT is a sturdy medium and 7000 and 8000 models will give you up to 80Gb compressed data. Unfortunately DLT is a technology which is still behind the latest tape technologies (still only 7MB/s) and as such future-proofing is still a concern.
My suggestion would be LTO. This technology is about 18 months old, uses half-inch media, is very fast (15MB/s) native and media is 100GB native (200 compressed).
IBM model number is 3580 for a single drive. This can be bought in SCSI and fibre channel.
Hope this helps

Re backuup of servers onto 1 tape (drive?).
Make the tape drive (remote tape deck) available to the other servers.
or..mount the other servers disks using NFS on the backup server.
or..rcp the data to a temp area on the backup server then copy to tape..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back