Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

TAPE ALERT

Status
Not open for further replies.

torri

IS-IT--Management
Nov 27, 2000
US
At the end of my backup job, I am receiving a message "you cannot eject the cartridge because the tape drive is in use"
The job when started grabs the tape from the slot and ejects it a the end of the job but I receive this error message. Can someone give a direction what I can do the fix this problem???

Is this a Windows message or a Veritas message? In a world without walls and fences, who needs Windows and Gates?

I receive the message when I am in Backup-Exec as soon as the job completes.

Can you let us know what hardware and software you are using? Which OS, which Service Packs, which version of BE, what type of DLT device, ...?
Also, under the advanced tab in the properties of your backup job, do you have the box "eject media after job completes" ticked? What happens if you uncheck this box?

[yinyang]
In a world without walls and fences, who needs Windows and Gates?

Thanks Tourist for your reply, Our operationg system is Windows NT and we are using BE 8.6, we are using a ADIC 7slot tape unit. If you get the chance, look at my other problems regarding Append time, having some real problems with that.

It's most likely a driver issue. Are you using the Windows driver or the Veritas driver for the ADIC? Either way, I'd try to update the driver with the latest release from Veritas. You can get it at
There are instructions on that page, so it should be easy enough to update the driver. In the event that you get an error message about Windows drivers that are already installed, you can go to Control Panel, Tape Devices and remove the Windows driver from the drivers tab. You'll have to reboot and then run the Veritas driver update again.

If that doesn't resolve the problem, updating the drivers for your SCSI card might do the trick. It's been known that they get overwritten by microsoft drivers through Windowsupdate, with very strange results, such as backup jobs that start failing, etc.
I'd visit the homepage of the SCSI card manufacturer and download and install the latest drivers for your hardware.

Last but not least, try enabling LUN on the SCSI card. Check the documentation on how to do this.

Hope this helps

[yinyang] In a world without walls and fences, who needs Windows and Gates?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back