Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

talking to other computer on wireless internet connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

rachelason

Programmer
Jun 28, 2004
GB
HI!
If two computers are connected to a wireless adsl(both have internet connection), how do i make computers talk to each other?
rach

on the same wireless router, on the same subnet?

They would talk to eash other automatically although firewall may prevent two way communication.

Iain

on the same wireless router. I haven't done anything to network the two computers.
thanks

If they are XP machines go to start - run - cmd

type
ipconfig /all

and they should have the same ip subnet so then try using the ping command.

I would recommend shutting down your firewalls to prevent that from interfering with the test.

if they respond then they are talking if not post the ips and anything else that might help trouble shooting.

Iain

there is a feature on some units called public secure packet forwarding - it's designed for units used in hot spots - it prevents clients on the wireless netwok from speaking to each other directly and allows comms only with the wired network, could be an issue?

dave

Thanks a lot for you reply.

i can ping the other computer. But how can i go about sharing files?

Are the computers in the same Workgroup? Are you sharing resources (printer or folders) on the computers. What kind of communications are you trying to do?

Dan

If you can ping and it is responding then you have layer 3 connectivity to the PC.

I think that you should be able to connect by typing \\ipaddress\ShareName eg. \\192.168.1.1\share.

you need to make sure that you have shared a folder on the computer, and that your firewall is set to allow incomming file sharing connections - I'd be tempted to switch the firewall of whilst I test the connection (so long as it is a secure network), but obviously make sure that the firewall is enabled and configured correctly when you have finished.

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back