Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Taking tapes offsite

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevenriz

IS-IT--Management
May 21, 2001
Hi, with our old DLT backup device and backup exec, it was easy to perform a backup each day and tape the tape offsite for safe keeping each day. We had a month's worth of tapes.

Now with a new 10 slot VX-2 autoloader we installed, it seems a bit more difficult to eject tapes and take them offsite.

Is there a better practice for backing up the system adn cataloging tapes? Or can we simply do the same thing, do a backup, eject the tapes and replace the tapes with a different set.

Steve

What I do with my 16 slot 2 drive AIT-4 Library is have an incremental backup for the week, and a full backup over the weekend. After it is complete on Monday I come in and swap out tapes and take them off site. That way I have backups for the week, and a full backup to boot while saving time not swapping out tapes every day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back