Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Taking so long to restart windoes 2000 server after AD Install

Status
Not open for further replies.

winpt

IS-IT--Management
Aug 8, 2004
US
after i install active directory it take so long to restart the computer whenever i want to restart for some reason ( like after doing update and so on )

does this happen to anyone before?

Thanks

Some programs/services takes a long time to stop. Terminate/stop 1 program/services at a time to isolate the culprit. If you identify it then stop it manually(you can also create a script to do this) first before shutting down the system.

Also, did you install/setup dns on this server? If so, the server's dns entry in control panel should point to its own ip. You can then setup dns forwarder addresses in your dns tool. I've seen servers crawl on bootup and shutdown because DNS was not setup right.

Matt J.

Please always take the time to backup any and all data before performing any actions suggested for ANY problem, regardless of how minor a change it might seem. Also test the backup to make sure it is intact.

Yes i'm running EXCHANGE server and also i did point the DNS to it self

Yeah there is an issue with running Exchange on a DC. Well, many issues actually. Running Exchange on your DC isn't a good idea for many reasons, but one thing that it will do is make your server take a long time to shutdown.

Stopping the Exchange services before you reboot should speed things up.

A service hanging on shutdown can delay all the remaining services from stopping, so find the culprit and then find out why it is being difficult to stop.

As for the long time, just how big is you Exchange database? Exchange could be taking a long time to gracefully close down its services to prevent database problems, and can take a long time to start back up if the db is corrupted, as it goes through a complete data integrity check when booting up. Mine sometimes taks 15 minutes to boot up as it sorts out the main database entries, and sometimes only 3-5 minutes.

By the way, stopping the exchange services before reboot will not speed it up, as you still have to wait for it to all shut down before you can continue with shutting down the server. That said, try shutting down all of the exchange services and see how long it takes, then shut the system down and see how long that takes as compared to just shutting the whole system down together. This will help tell you if the Exchange is the problem area. If it is, you may want to do a little offline maintenance on the exchange data bases! :) Stomping on users with 1-2 GB of Outlook files helps also. :)

HTH
David

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back