Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Taking my CCNA exam this thurday. Any Advice? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

MassDeployer

Programmer
Mar 29, 2006
US
I'm doing a self study program.

I've been taking the practice exames and I'm not doing to well. I'm having trouble recalling the little things that matter

Kind Regards,

MassDeployer

I would get a good nights sleep and a nice breakfast. Use the bathroom before you go so it doesn't distract you. If you know even a little about Cisco, you should be fine. The test, at least when I took it, wasn't very hard. Wait until the CCNP exams.

It is what it is!!

Basics, Basics, Basics, especially subnetting. If you can do it off the top of your head great, otherwise have a braindump structure ready to write down on the scratch paper to save you time. A pretty good copy of one is here

There's a pretty good structure in the back of there plus a blank one that you can copy and repeatedly enter values. Theoretically it is supposed to take you 8 times to memorize something, I don't know if that's true or not but hey its worth a shot.

Good Luck,

Sean

Before you start your exam write down all you remember for quick reference. I drew up a subnetting chart for reference, along with standard and extended access-list along with a few other items..... This help me speed up on most questions so I had time for the labs and harder questions....

Daily Thought: Some people are like slinkies. Not really good for anything but they bring a smile to your face when
pushed down the stairs.

Tek-TIP Member 19,650
[americanflag]

Rememeber that you have a lot of time once you sit down. Use this time to do the brian dump. Also if the give you a dry erase sheet take in as many as they will give you, or as many sheets of paper as they will give you. Take a sharp pointed dry erase pen in with you if they will let you. Look for the best one they have.

On recent sim I heard of involved using cdp to check the ip address of the downline router. The IP address was wrong. That needed to be fixed, and the interface turned on.

Good Luck

Thanks to Everyone - It's been a big help

Kind Regards,

MassDeployer

Mass,

It is thursday where I live...how did you do?

If you pass congratulations...it's a thrill. If you don't, don't let it stop you. Lots of people...a large percentage in fact take it 2-3 times before they pass.

One thing that really helped me after I failed the ICND test is, I sought out Chris Bryant at thebryantadvantage.com. His material pumps you full of fast math, basics basics basics, details details details and, best of all, test pod access and great labs. If you need help, that's the place to go.

jimfixit - thanks so much...

Well I didn't pass. I scored a 690.. 860 = passing. I guess thats not to bad for someone who has never worked with networking.

No worries. I decided to take the 2 part version instead.

I was a little miffed about the class of questions in the test i took. It seemed like almost all of the questions pertained to routing protocols, design, troubleshooting and configs for mutitlple router environments.<venting>

Where was the easy stuff?

Thanks for the lift..I sure will try thebryantadvantage.com

Kind Regards,

MassDeployer

I thought passing score for CCNA was 849...has it gone up???

Also to consider is maybe starting off with the CCENT certification---it's new, and it's a level before CCNA...

Good luck. Also, I have a "CCNA For Dummies that explains everything in layman's terms. Here's my ftp server address, and a direct link to my Cisco stuff---take what you want...

ftp://69.149.227.189/Cisco%20Stuff/

Burt

The Semester 4 Project is especially helpful, located in the Cisco Stuff/CCNA directory.

Burt

Is your FTP up burt? I dont see port 21 open at that address.

Thanks

Gb0mb

........99.9% User Error........

Sorry---power went out in the house---I will post it later this evening...

Burt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back