Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

taking my 70-296 tomorrow 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

UKHicks

IS-IT--Management
May 11, 2004
US
Feeling rather nervous about it today, but hey i passed the 70-292 exam with 850 points, how much harder can it be? *gulp* Anyone taken that exam and got any pointers or websites?

I'm thinking of buying a Self Test Software transcender as they are having a 40% sale today after 12am. Anyone used them before?

Transcenders are usually good... assuming you have at least some hands-on...

JTB
Have Certs, Will Travel
"A knight without armour in a [cyber] land."

well i'm a network administrator for a 2000 network, but to be honest i have no real world experience of 2003 (yet). Thats why in my studies i have mainly been concentrating on the changes 2003 has made.

Do you have a MSDN sub? You can dowload everything you need there...

Alternately, can you get your boss to purchase Virtual PC for a test lab environment? You may be able to get the benefits in a virtual way, if you can't get a few 400MHz Pentium II/II or better PCs to practice with...

The eval software is free and easily available...

Good luck!!! I'm almost right behind you!!

JTB
Have Certs, Will Travel

which certs do you have so far JTB? i'm thinking of taking the two 2003 security exams after this (design and imp) just becuase i think security has become such an issue, and they would be a good bonus on my resume. After that its the end of Microsoft study for me and onto all the Cisco certs, CCIE here i come! heheh

MCP, MCP+Internet, MCSE NT4, MCSE 2000: These are directly in line with what I do at work... I'm currently studying towards the MCSE 2003.

CCNA, CCDA: Due to expire this summer... Since I'm no longer a router guy, I've decided to just let them go... kind of a bummer--but it's too expensive in time and money to try to be all things to all people....

i-Net+, Network+: Ok, ok, I caught the certification bug...

Master Certified Internet Webmaster Designer: ditto...

Gartner Certified TCO Expert: My employer needed a certain number of these... it helped my business skills a little... but the cert doesn't mean a lot without access to the extremely pricey software...

JTB
Have Certs, Will Travel

I'm still building my xp/2003 study lab; but UKHicks might have taken it by now? (I've heard it was pretty tough)

JTB
Have Certs, Will Travel

I took the exam alright, and it really kicked me in the rear. I only scored 550 and needed 700. The worst part of it was that i was SO convinced that i have passed just before i clicked the 'end exam' button.. urgh...

Never mind, i immidietly wrote down what i knew i needed to go over when i got home and will retake it next week. It's not going to beat me, and passing will just be even more satisfying when i do get it right.

Anyone want to loan me $125 ??

heheh

Here you go, this is what i wrote down immedietly after the exam. Make sure you know this stuff because you will be tested on it:

When to use RSOP in planning or logging mode

depending on the Scenario, when to use which version of windows i.e: Enterprise edition, Standard or web etc

where to position your Global Catalogue servers in a network, including how many

know the difference between DNS delegation and stub zones and which is appropriate in each scenario

understand Terminal concentrators

there were also a few questions about clustering and load balancing which i'm not great on, including whether to keep servers redundant

I hope this helps, good luck to you.

Good feedback!!

JTB
Have Certs, Will Travel

I just took the 70-296 and just passed it, recieved a 700 and needed a 700 to pass.. I was VERY HARD! I have been in the business of networking for 17 years now.. I built my first network in 1987, it was a Lantsatic 2.0 network.

Nice one, did they press you on anything else that i didn't mention above? i'm retaking this week.

no , just study.. I failed it back in March and STUDYED! what date are you taking it.

either tomorrow or next tuesday, i have to ask my boss today.

I took it for the second time on June 11th and passed it.

today i'm starting of my study with Server clusters and NLB.. a real pain in the butt. Just can't get some of this stuff to stick. Luckily we actually have a SAN here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back