Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

take up long time to boot up

Status
Not open for further replies.

ISP
Nov 29, 2007
MY
hi.. each time when i start up the computer .. there are many icon on my right bottom bar... those ATI icon.. many more.. are those required to be there?

cos it takes up quite long to boot up.. how can i make it faster to boot up ??

Go to start, run, then type msconfig and hit enter. On the far right is a startup tab. This contains all the programs starting up with your computer. Use google to figure out what they are and if you want them starting up or not.

My advice is uncheck everything but firewall, antivirus and anti spyware

There is a point in wisdom and knowledge that when you reach it, you exceed what is considered possible - Jason Schoon

Mr.Freak is right the ati one sounds like video........ that you may need stuff like real-player,aim and so on just drags down startup time plus they may be running in the backround eating up ram

The ATI icon in your tray is most likely the ATI Catalyst Control Center. This software can usually be removed from Add/Remove programs and is not needed. The control center gives you a control panel for some of the advanced features of your video card (and it does suck up some system resoucrces).

I do not know your technical level, but you can also download a program call HiJack This. This program will show you (and allow you to remove) all the items that start with your computer. Use this with caution and check with a pro if you are unsure.

Also simply check under Start, Programs and Startup. Many programs stick a ton of startup information here (Kodak, AOL, etc., etc.). You can remove the icons from here and thus remove them from starting when your computer boots.

Hope this helps.

John

hi.. thanks.. that ati is the graphic card if i am not mistaken... there are also Macafree ...synaptic poiting device..modem on hold application....

my worries is i do not know whether those software is neccessary when system start.. just like the macafree antivirus.. I THINK THE MACAFREE SOFTWARE IS REQURIED TO START WHEN SYSTEM BOOT UP?? so if i delete thta icon .. any effect ?

Under the startup tab, type out the items on here. Only the items , not the locations. We will help you

There is a point in wisdom and knowledge that when you reach it, you exceed what is considered possible - Jason Schoon

The ATI display card driver doesn't plop an icon in your systray: the thing that does is software that gives you multiple desktops (and more) which, if you don't use, is just wasting resources. Uninstall it.

The Synaptics thing I have is for the touch-pad (you running a laptop?) Don't mess with that, unless you have a mouse connected and never use the touch-pad.

Do as Electronicsfreak said, write down all the running programs listed, and write them here so we can help you which oneyou should keep.
Most of those icons in my opinion are useless, you can easily deactivate them, and then need to restart your pc.

hi..thanks for the update..below is the iconssss

automatic update icon,
wireless, skype, local area network, volumn,
synaptic pointing device, ATI icon, MacAfree,
v.92 Modem On Hold App

very slow when i boot up the computer.. does this matter with registry key as well? why just 1 month format the computer is getting slower.. no virus is detected

no, I dont mean those. Go to start, run, then type msconfig and hit enter. Click the startup tab, type out the items listed there.

soundman
synTPLpr
SynTPEnh
Ati2mdxx
atiptaxx
CPLBCL53
AGRSMMSG
Ltmoh
mcmnhdlr
mcvsshld
oasclnt
mcagent
realshed
smtpserver
IMJPMIG
ImScInst
TINTSETP
QTTask
ctfmon
msmsgs
Microsoft Office

I suggest deactivate:
Adobe Reader
Microsoft office

Also uninstall those programs you dont need, do a Ram optimization and a registry cleaner.

i applied that step... but don seem to work for me.. still slow when boot up..hahaha

Uncheck these and hit apply and close

soundman, Ati2mdxx, atiptaxx, AGRSMMSG, realshed, IMJPMIG, ImScInst, TINTSETP, QTTask, ctfmon, SKype,Adobe Reader,Microsoft Office

Also open up msn messenger, go to tools then options and you should see a box that says "start msn messenger with windows". Just uncheck that box and it will no longer load with windows starts. Its called windows live messenger now.

if i close this Ati2mdxx, atiptaxx then my graphic card will not function each time system boot up??

your card will still function. I did not uncheck anything that will cause anything to not function.

thanks to everyone here especially electronicsfreak .... great forum.. bravo

n/p, glad I could help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back