Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

TagmaStore USP Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

timwah

Technical User
Feb 5, 2003
US
Hi all,
Don't know if we have any hardware gurus reading this...
I have a USP single frame system that I'm doing a full hardware reconfg on. The system keeps calling out failed cache memory dimms in locations that have none installed. Hardware and SVP are configured correctly (this is one of 4 systems I'm working on. The other three work fine). Have replaced the cache, cache board, shared memory, 16HS channel board, and DC power supplies. Anyone ever run across a failure like this?
I'm running out of things to try.

Update
Bad cache memory in the base positions of cluster 2 was causing the failures in cluster 1 ??? I configured the system down to base cache, and the failures moved from cluster 1 to cluster 2. Fixed the cluster 2 failure, and brought the system back to 20gb cache one feature at a time. Seems to be working fine now.

Hi timwah,
I'm working for more than 20 years with Hitachi Storage systems, never heard of such a problem. It seems to me that some wrong configuration information was hold in shared memory which caused the error. I don't think it is possible that a bad cache dimm can cause a problem in the other cluster. Your problem seems to be solved, so it doesn't matter anymore!
kind regards
Thomas

Hi Thomas28,
Thanks for the reply.I've been working with Hitachi equipment for a bunch of years... back to the 7700 standard days. I agree that a bad dimm in one cluster should not be able to cause failures in the opposite cluster. Could be that I had some bad memory on both sides, and bringing it down to base removed the bad dimms from cluster one. I was working with an inventory box of about 100 dimms... but no matter now. System is on the way to South Africa? China? somewhere far from Chicago.
Best Regards,
Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back