Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Tagged text import into Mac InDesign

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnhodgson

Programmer
Nov 23, 2000
GB
I'm trying to import a tagged text file produced on a Windows machine into InDesign running on a Mac. The tagged text file imports fine into InDesign running under Windows, but when the same file is imported into InDesign running on a Mac, although the style tag definitions are imported, none of the paras in the file has a style assigned to it (ie all the paras have Basic Paragraph style). I've tried messing about with the <ASCII-Win><ASCII-Mac> tag and saving opening the file on the Mac and resaving it but nothing seems to cure the problem. Does anyone have any suggestions about what I may be doing wrong?

Try the Place command and make sure that Show Import Options is checked on the place window.

Make sure that Show list of Problems Tags Before Place is checked and see what happens. You might also see about Resolve Conflicts if you have other styles in the ID doc.

Using OSX 10.3.9 on a G4

Thanks!

Have tried all these, and this works as expected in my Windows version of InDesign, but when I send the same file to a colleague working with InDesign on a Mac the file loads in the same way, and the styles load into the style palette, but none of the text paragraphs have any style attributes - they are all 'Basic Paragraph'

John

That’s a doozy. Are you sending him the ID doc with the imported text or the tagged text doc?

If you’re sending him the tagged text, is he importing it properly? One thing you mention is “basic paragraph”. If you mean that he has a paragraph style in ID as opposed to “no paragraph style”, I’m guessing that the Resolve Conflicts thing could be having problems. That could be especially true if he has text frames or master text frame with a paragraph style, or Master, assigned. If so, you might try disabling any styles and Masters in the ID doc and then importing.

Depending on how long the thing you have to import is, you might try creating a new ID document with nothing set. Then see if you can import into that. If yes, you know that something wrong with the original ID doc. If no, you know there’s a problem with the ID.

I’m assuming that you’re both on the same version # of ID. I don’t know if, say 4, has better import features than 3. If you’re using a newer version, that could be why you’re successful and he’s not.

Using OSX 10.3.9 on a G4

How are you sending it? Via email? If so, compress it first. I found that my tagged text never makes it thru email unless it's stuffed or zipped.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back