Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

tabStrip question? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

checkai

Programmer
Jan 17, 2003
US
I need to create a tab strip and I am very new to VS.NET...everything i've found on the web has been worthless to such a rookie like me...

any ideas/online good resources???

Thanks,
DLC

ie web controls work fine with tab strip. Only caveat is that only IE browsers can view it.

If you Ok with bulding apps for IE only I would recommend you to go with Microsoft IE Web Controls. They do work, very easy to work with, work on both .NET Framework 1.0 and 1.1 (haven't had problems so far - even thoug MS says that they do not support it anymore), and royalty free.
You can get'em here:

Can I create multi row tab strips with the IE Web Control or drop down type of menus where you select a tab and menus drop down vertically? Thanks.

The main problem I have with the IE Tab Control is that you have to associate it with a Multipage control. I would rather associate each tab page with a separate web form. Also, how do I determine in code which tab page I have selected?

Basically what I am trying to achieve is to have a multi row set of tabs(I have 20 tabs). There could be anywhere from 10-80 combo boxes on each tab. This is a front end to a database. And what I want to do is fire an event each time I leave a tab to update the database with information in each tab. I want to be able develop each tab as it's own separate web form.

If I can't do this with the IE Tab Strip then what are my alternatives? Are there third-party controls that have the functionalities I am looking for? Someone suggested I just design my own user control that fits on each web form in my project. Not sure how that would work.

If someone could point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it.

Is this handy for you ?

authoring web forms using the microsoft internet explorer webcontrols ?

But also about tab strip

You dont have to use the tabstrip control with the multipage control although many people do.

Also "how do i determine...etc..." : via the selectedindex property.

example:

Code:
<%@ Import
 Namespace="Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls" %>
<%@ Register TagPrefix="mytab" 
Namespace="Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls" 
Assembly="Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls, Version=1.0.2.226, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35" %>
<script runat="server">
 protected void myTabStrip_OnSelectedIndexChange(object sender, EventArgs e) 
 {
  switch (myTabStrip.SelectedIndex)
  {
  case 0:
   Page.Navigate("/myweb/about.htm");
   break;
  case 1:
   Page.Navigate("/myweb/intranet/resources/default.aspx");
   break;
  }

// but ofcourse you could post your stuff or auto
  // sql server or send and sms with the content of 
  // the page etc... since it causes a postback!

}
</script>
<myns:TabStrip runat="server"
 ID="myTabStrip"
 Orientation="Horizontal"
 AutoPostback="true">
<myns:Tab Text="About Us" ID="tabAbout"/>
<myns:TabSeparator/>
<myns:Tab Text="Resources" ID="tabResources"/>
</myns:TabStrip>

--------------------------------------
deleau@gmail.com

The other question: yes you can use multi-rows ( never tried it but i assume you can include 5 milion different server controls on page) and yes you can put pull down selectboxes in there but they do not look nice if you're planning to use it as a menu use an asp.net menu.

--------------------------------------
deleau@gmail.com

Thanks for your response. I initially couldn't expose any events off of the tab strip, but that was because I had the auto postback of the control set to false. I was not however able to find a Page.Navigate event as exposed in the above example. I guess I could do a response.redirect just as well. From my limited experience with these IE Web Controls, I think they will do the trick for non-complex solutions, but for something cutting edge, I will look at some third-party controls. I have experienced some performance problems so that is the direction I'll probably head towards.

I don't like the multi-page control at all, while the Tree View is something I'm already incorporating.

I don't see a Multi Row property for the tab strip - I guess you could stack two tab strips on top of each other but may give you a clunky UI and hard to synchronize. I may have to pay for this type of functionality in a third-party control.

I was able to find a site that listed several vendors that sell tabstrip controls for asp.net...all for a fee of course. Hopefully Microsoft will incorporate something of this sort in 2.0. There is probably a way to create this myself through a graphics program.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back