Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

tablespace privileges

Status
Not open for further replies.

stressball

Programmer
Mar 14, 2001
AU
Hi, I'm using Oracle for NT on my PC at work just to study for Oracle cert, and I get this message when I try to create a table (the default tables of emp, dept etc are not there)

SQL> create table dept
2 (deptno NUMBER(2),
3 dname VARCHAR2(14),
4 loc VARCHAR2(13));
create table dept
ERROR at line 1:
ORA-01950: no privileges on tablespace 'SYSTEM'

How do I grant my user privileges to the tablespace?

Hi Stressball,

As your sys or system user run:

alter user stressball quota unlimited on system;

the unlimited can be replaced by an integer + K or M to give an actual size quota.

One of the first things you'll learn when you get to the administration portion of the OCP is that when you create users you can assign them default and temporary tablespaces other than the system tablespace. This is because it is a bad idea to create all your objects and do your sorting in the system tablespace. On a small test database you're just messing around with it's no big deal though.

Good luck!

Bob Bob Lowell
ljspop@yahoo.com

Hi Stressball,
What do u log as (username)when you connect to ORACLE? I'm sure u are not connecting as Scott, which explains why you are not being able to see the tables like emp, dept etc..
Just connect as scott(default password 'tiger') and you should be able to see the said tables.

Hi Stressball,
What do u log as (username)when you connect to ORACLE? I'm sure u are not connecting as Scott, which explains why you are not being able to see the tables like emp, dept etc..
Just connect as scott(default password 'tiger') and you should be able to see the said tables & create new ones too.

Instead of creating a table in the SYSTEM table space, it is STRONGLY suggested you create your own tablespaces to keep your data in. That tablespace is used by Oracle. If you create your data structures there, you are asking for trouble... Terry M. Hoey
th3856@txmail.sbc.com
While I don't mind e-mail messages, please post all questions in these forums for the benefit of all members.

Thanks a lot for the info, I'm just logging in as scott, tiger now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back